News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

Damn, you're right. Not sure how that slipped my brain, I was thinking Ottawa. Maybe I should defend myself by blaming my Alberta first bias. 🤣

The point that it's not located in the core still stands.
I don't know how long they have been there, but at one time wasn't where there are actually another city and not part of the City of Toronto?

In any event this is north of the 401, so definitely not in the downtown core.

Doesn't pertain specifically to downtown, but it does provide some perspective on the perception of safety in some areas.
Last night one of my cars' was stolen in front of my place, in a quiet, "safe" inner street, in a somewhat "upscale" neighborhood.
Wasn't the first case in the area over the past few weeks, and seems to be a somewhat regular occurrence.
I know it's a crime against property, not bodily harm, but definitely puts the whole safety debate, and the comparisons between DT and the burbs in perspective.

As someone who has had a car stolen off of a driveway in a suburban setting, I'm very sorry to hear about this.

That said, it's VERY different to seeing it everyday or feeling concern for your person in an area walking to work, going to the grocery or waiting for transit.

Doesn't pertain specifically to downtown, but it does provide some perspective on the perception of safety in some areas.
Last night one of my cars' was stolen in front of my place, in a quiet, "safe" inner street, in a somewhat "upscale" neighborhood.
Wasn't the first case in the area over the past few weeks, and seems to be a somewhat regular occurrence.
I know it's a crime against property, not bodily harm, but definitely puts the whole safety debate, and the comparisons between DT and the burbs in perspective.
That sucks but that's one of the main issues with crime in the burbs, stolen property.
Makes you feel so crappy though.

“It’s very unfortunate that this person was killed, but I think we have to keep in mind that it was the suspect that killed this person — not the police.”

If that was my wife who was killed - the lawsuit I’d slap the Mounties with would be enormous.

“It’s very unfortunate that this person was killed, but I think we have to keep in mind that it was the suspect that killed this person — not the police.”

If that was my wife who was killed - the lawsuit I’d slap the Mounties with would be enormous.

What a terrible incident. So sad for the family and other victims. So frustrating this person is still out there.

Not to be nit-picky but that was a crime in Millwoods and Beaumont, not in downtown.
Fair point. It's actually great that you mentioned it.
It's not the first time in the past few months that a serious crime goes down in this area of the city, and yet, people continue to believe that crime in this city only happens DT.

Incredibly disrespectful of them. It undercuts the message of condolences when they decide to throw that in there, and it's totally unnecessary to say. Just give condolences and move on, no need to throw the "it's not our fault" in there. I don't think most people would actually blame the cops here. It makes you seem desperate and needy, like you're more interested in covering your own ass then sincerely mourning a loss of life.

I don't think most people would actually blame the cops here. It makes you seem desperate and needy, like you're more interested in covering your own ass then sincerely mourning a loss of life.

Except the person who posted this is blaming the police (would slap a lawsuit on them) and he's probably not alone.

You also didn't see or hear this full interview. You don't know a question a reporter may have asked that resulted in this response.

You don't know an answer the police may have given in sincerity of the loss that wasn't used in this story.

Incredibly disrespectful of them. It undercuts the message of condolences when they decide to throw that in there, and it's totally unnecessary to say. Just give condolences and move on, no need to throw the "it's not our fault" in there. I don't think most people would actually blame the cops here. It makes you seem desperate and needy, like you're more interested in covering your own ass then sincerely mourning a loss of life.
In fairness, it was an outside observer who made the comment, not the police

Except the person who posted this is blaming the police (would slap a lawsuit on them) and he's probably not alone.

You also didn't see or hear this full interview. You don't know a question a reporter may have asked that resulted in this response.

You don't know an answer the police may have given in sincerity of the loss that wasn't used in this story.

I may have misread / misinterpreted the original post.

There are plenty of things to criticize the police for, I do it all the time, but I don't think I see much to indicate that they did anything inherently wrong in this particular situation here. I don't know anything about how they operate or deal with high speed pursuits, but spike strips seem like a pretty common thing to do. It does seem odd that "3 civilian vehicles" were disabled by them however, I get they can't put up a giant warning sign as that would alert the suspect, but maybe having some way to stop regular people from having their cars totaled and potentially being injured or killed because of an incident they had nothing to do with. Or if that's not possible, make sure you quickly clear any civilians out from where the danger is. This might be just an unavoidable issue with however.

I mostly take issue with the wording of the response "It’s very unfortunate that this person was killed, but I think we have to keep in mind that it was the suspect that killed this person — not the police". The "but" that was added in there and the overall framing of the response makes it seem like this was not really a response that was provoked by a question about the practice of the PD. But sort of a preemptive rebuke to any potential criticism.

In fairness, it was an outside observer who made the comment, not the police

I now see this, it seems odd that they would ask a "security expert" about this. Either way, my issues with the delivery of the response still stand. The purpose of this article should be to inform the public and provide clarity to the situation. Not jumping to defend the cops at the expense of the message of condolence. It seems shallow and undercuts the message of the article in my opinion.

^They probably asked a security expert, who used to be a police officer, because the EPS and RCMP probably can't say much at this time.

Back