News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

Honer shares a storey about YEGDT from the Last of Us filming...

'we're from L.A. and you've got a real problem here; we've never seen this crime and theft'

25:30

Okay I'm sorry but I don't buy that story from Horner at all.

There's a viral Reddit post about the Premier trying to gain political points over a story she used as an example which is extremely distasteful at best.

Any statements coming out of ministers from the last week until the end of budget deliberations at the end of March shouldn't be taken at face value imo. It's prime politicking season especially with the holes in their budget.

'we're from L.A. and you've got a real problem here; we've never seen this crime and theft'

Apparently those people from LA have never visited their own Skid Row lol, it makes Downtown Edmonton look like Singapore.

The difference being that skid row, while being Downtown, is not in their CBD...

without actually having to listen to this.....can someone give me the "jist" of what is being proclaimed here? Please and thanks

Real issues facing Downtown, not enough support, businesses facing a very poor experience.

If Horner is so concerned, like he should be, the province could pay us the $60 million it owes us in lieu of taxes on its provincial buildings. I'm sure that would make the Edmonton Chamber and DBA happy, too, who have highlighted the problems. They even had the minister's ear in this round table discussion but didn't mention it.

Okay I'm sorry but I don't buy that story from Horner at all.

There's a viral Reddit post about the Premier trying to gain political points over a story she used as an example which is extremely distasteful at best.

Any statements coming out of ministers from the last week until the end of budget deliberations at the end of March shouldn't be taken at face value imo. It's prime politicking season especially with the holes in their budget.
For those who haven't read said post, it's here and it's a very powerful read. The Premier owes this person an apology, but we all know that will never happen.

As for Horner, it does have a vague air of Jason Kenney's frequent tall tales (e.g. the crying Venezuelan entrepreneurs), but who knows.

The difference being that skid row, while being Downtown, is not in their CBD...
I went to downtown LA several years ago and I was actually not impressed by their downtown. Mentally I was comparing it to Edmonton, here came out better.

Maybe fewer destitute people wandering around, but it was very dead on the weekend.

If Horner is so concerned, like he should be, the province could pay us the $60 million it owes us in lieu of taxes on its provincial buildings. I'm sure that would make the Edmonton Chamber and DBA happy, too, who have highlighted the problems. They even had the minister's ear in this round table discussion but didn't mention it.
The usual, more sanctimonious bs from our hypocritical provincial politicians.

They are the ones with the responsibility and the means to fix the horrible social problems, but all they ever do is criticize the city who has gone beyond to take on many things that are really not even their responsibility.

However I guess he fits right in with the typical small minded rural UCP mentality.

I was in LA January of last year, and I walked by myself around downtown and I can tell you that there is an incomprehensible difference between the crime and visible disorder between Edmonton and Los Angeles. Edmonton isn’t perfect but the two cities are not even in the same ballpark, or even playing the same sports frankly.

One comparison with Calgary that has been brought up a number of times is the number of permanent shelter spaces funded.

If the province funded the same number of permanent (not temporary) shelter spaces here in Edmonton as in Calgary, the social disorder and homelessness issues would probably be not as bad.

Social support and services is primarily a provincial issue and has been foisted on the major cities by a provincial government unwilling to take on its responsibility.

^Shelter spaces funded went from 600 last winter to 1642 as of early February this year. So much much better and have to give the province credit. Most are also supposed to be operating 24/7, which day shelter space has also been a problem in the past. Which is also how the City has justified dismantling high-risk encampments.

The shelters often have spaces empty. This is due to a number of factors including people wanting to sleep outdoors, addictions or mental health issues, not being able to bring your stuff, or not being able to be with a partner (religious-based shelters).

^^Glossing over the report from Calgary, it seems similar in many approaches and actions to our Downtown Vibrancy Strategy, however having a document like that which is city-wide and safety based is a good communication tool and holds the City accountable on that issue specifically.

Back