News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Crime

As a downtown/west downtown resident for 5+ years now, and someone who has been a defender of downtown living in Edmonton for most of those 5+ years, I can say now that both me and my GF, who I actually convinced to move downtown, have both had enough and will be leaving downtown and the city actually. If we were staying here in Edmonton, we would be moving to the south side 100%

We both love walking around downtown, but neither of us feel safe doing so anymore, ESPECIALLY once you cross 109 street to the core part of downtown. We don't even think about walking that far east anymore unless we're wearing our "kevlar undercoats", which we joke about but wish we didn't have to

I think the tip of the iceberg (at least for her) was hearing about a family who got mugged and the father was stabbed by a random junkie hiding in the bushes on the Victoria Promenade (our favourite spot). He could'n be found initially, but then was apparently arrested in the same location 3 days later...

Last edited:
As a downtown/west downtown resident for 5+ years now, and someone who has been a defender of downtown living in Edmonton for most of these 5+ years, I can say now that both me and my GF, who I actually convinced to move downtown, have both had enough and will be leaving downtown this year (and the city actually). If we were staying here in Edmonton, we would be moving to the south side 100%

We both love walking around downtown, but neither of us feel safe doing so anymore, ESPECIALLY once you cross 109 street to the core part of downtown. We don't even think about walking that far east anymore unless we're wearing our kevlar undercoats, which we joke about but wish we didn't have to

I think the tip of the iceberg (at least for her) was hearing about a family who got mugged and the father was stabbed by a random junkie hiding in the bushes on the Victoria Promenade (our favourite spot). He could'n be found initially, but then was apparently found in the same location 3 days later...
I'd say the crime/disorder is the #1 reason (followed by infrastructure maintenance at #2) why someone would choose to not move Downtown, let alone stay living there. Reduce that issue and I think many more people would choose to live Downtown, Oliver, etc.

Maybe... MAYBE when folks start recognizing Downtown as a community/neighbourhood and not just a CBD/place to work/pass-through things will change. What is 'acceptable' in some central neighbourhoods (not just Downtown) would NEVER be tolerated/acceptable/permissible in more traditional residential neighbourhoods in wards across our fair city.

I still recall being told that because I choose to live Downtown that I should accept noise/loud vehicles and higher levels of 'incidents'.

Spoke with EPS.

A significant increase in calls for service the Downtown has lead to a lack of resources to tackle problem areas. They are aware of issues in multi-family buildings but cannot dedicate specific resources to one area or building.

That said, their Community Engagement Team will work with residents, building managers and provide education/tips to those in the area to advise of them of the issues, advise them how best to report these incidents and material to help communicate all of this.

Aside from the crime, the level of garbage on sidewalks and streets is disgusting downtown. How hard would it be to increase garbage pickup frequency for bins? Empty garbage bins means less garbage for people to ruffle through.

It's kind of embarrassing for people visiting from out of town or other parts of the city.

Aside from the crime, the level of garbage on sidewalks and streets is disgusting downtown. How hard would it be to increase garbage pickup frequency for bins? Empty garbage bins means less garbage for people to ruffle through.

It's kind of embarrassing for people visiting from out of town or other parts of the city.
Since the pandemic started, the City has been contracting to Bee Clean to empty garbage cans. That as almost tripled the service level, very much better than when the City was responsible.

The issue is the type of garbage can that can be easily riffled through as you say, or wind blowing things out. In addition all the garbage from the snow gets put into windrows. Businessses and property owners are ENTIRELY responsible for keeping sidewalks clean. Do we need to fine property owners for not cleaning sidewalks like we do with snow removal? With climate change, the City needs to get street sweepers out earlier in the season or in winter as needed. I'm hopefully the extra $1.4m approved for Downtown cleaning through Councillor Stevenson's motion will help out.

I almost single-handedly (except for a handful of amazing businesses and building owners) tried to keep 104 Street and area clean last year because I didn't know any other way it would get done. No one wants to do it, not businesses, not the City. Or we just don't get it.

Not to downplay it but the consistent freeze thaw and nasty wind lately has not helped in the least with garbage - city wide.

I almost single-handedly (except for a handful of amazing businesses and building owners) tried to keep 104 Street and area clean last year because I didn't know any other way it would get done. No one wants to do it, not businesses, not the City. Or we just don't get it.

I agree with this statement, 104 Street has always been clean especially if its fronting a business. Kudos to yourself and business owners.

Other areas of DT need to follow that example. Especially bad coming out of LRT entrances and properties that aren't associated with a business.

Back