News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

^What's the point of having a street-facing business if you don't keep it clean in front including your sidewalk area and regularly clean your glass? I simply don't get some businesses. I think there's an immaturity in Edmonton regarding how to do a street-facing business regardless of our weather/seasonal challenges. I find it very frustrating.

I should also mention that EDBA hires Boyle Street Ventures to clean up around Downtown priority areas several times a week. It's not perfect but it certainly helps.

Since the pandemic started, the City has been contracting to Bee Clean to empty garbage cans. That as almost tripled the service level, very much better than when the City was responsible.

The issue is the type of garbage can that can be easily riffled through as you say, or wind blowing things out. In addition all the garbage from the snow gets put into windrows. Businessses and property owners are ENTIRELY responsible for keeping sidewalks clean. Do we need to fine property owners for not cleaning sidewalks like we do with snow removal? With climate change, the City needs to get street sweepers out earlier in the season or in winter as needed. I'm hopefully the extra $1.4m approved for Downtown cleaning through Councillor Stevenson's motion will help out.

I almost single-handedly (except for a handful of amazing businesses and building owners) tried to keep 104 Street and area clean last year because I didn't know any other way it would get done. No one wants to do it, not businesses, not the City. Or we just don't get it.
Gold star!

The lack of care and attention

More of the same on 104st:(

Innocent man in nearby apartment dead after Edmonton police shoot and kill armed robbery suspect​

Edmonton police shot and killed an armed man who robbed a downtown liquor store Wednesday night, but an innocent man in a nearby apartment was also hit by gunfire during the incident and later died, police say.

Police were called to an armed robbery in the area of 113 Street and 104 Avenue just before 6:30 p.m., police said.

The armed man fled the liquor store but officers found him near 105 Street and 107 Avenue at approximately 7 p.m.

"Shortly thereafter, a confrontation occurred, and officers discharged their firearms, and the male subject was fatally wounded," Edmonton Police Service Chief Dale McFee said.

"A second male who was not involved in the reported incident and was in a nearby suite was also struck. He was rushed to hospital by paramedics where he sadly succumbed to his injuries."

Has to be one of the craziest stories I've read in awhile here in Edmonton. Innocent bystander in their own apartment is killed by a stray bullet in a crossfire. RIP.

A motion made by Councillor Rice today to look have a report made to look at extending the Transit Safety Plan strategies to the Downtown Core (and possibly other areas of the city). Report comes back June 13.

Also a subsequent motion made by Councillor Rutherford to look at the transit safety bylaw to clarify what kinds of 'inappropriate acts' are defined in bylaw, to be clearer about what the issues are and how they should be dealt with. Rather than monetary fines, looking at banning certain behaviors. I guess this is a similar strategy Calgary employs.

Both positive steps to improving safety around transit and on the streets.

Last edited:
Good to hear... but that's 16 weeks away and a back to work movement starting in a week.

How we don't better align or look at expediting some initiatives to ensure public safety continues to baffle me.

A motion made by Councillor Rice today to look have a report made to look at extending the Transit Safety Plan strategies to the Downtown Core (and possibly other areas of the city). Report comes back June 16.
Was that the only update regarding Transit Safety that you mentioned earlier in the week?

^There may have been more discussion today, all I caught were the motions. There was also some discussion about EPS/safety in general yesterday in private.

Awesome thanks :)

Back