News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Crime

Interesting of late. Apparently folks are trying to 'hot wire' vestibule intercom systems to override them which is causing a lot of damage and has been reported in a bunch of buildings in and around us.

Interesting of late. Apparently folks are trying to 'hot wire' vestibule intercom systems to override them which is causing a lot of damage and has been reported in a bunch of buildings in and around us.
For anyone else that would have to google it, vestibule intercom systems are buzzers.

For anyone else that would have to google it, vestibule intercom systems are buzzers.
sometimes called a buzzer but in error. an intercom system is capable of two way voice communication, either hard wired or using telephone or cellular connections. the tone and/or the release mechanism may sound like a buzzer (or it may not) but the system is named for its communication ability, not its sound.

Who cares.

I sound like a broken record I am sure, but put some beats on the street in the core and actually find ways to lock up or disrupt the folks who continue to push residents out of the core due to repeat break-ins, thefts and unsafe streets. I am hearing of weekly stories now of folks selling and moving out due to them not wanting to deal with these issues and or feeling unsafe in their buildings and communities.

Who are we protecting here?

That's been happening alot in the lower mainland too. Are people acquiring access using this method? I reviewed a wiring diagram it looks like it's possible unless there's security features in the amplifier that aren't recognized.

You wouldn't think it would be worth it, tearing apart an intercom system is a time consuming thing but I guess maybe criminals are getting stupider and more brazen.

The police commission is hosting meetings to get feedback on future police budgets. If you really want to help Downtown, it would be fantastic if some folks here were able to voice their opinions.

There is a survey. Takes about 15 minutes but worth filling out if you want to provide feedback. https://edmontonpolicecommission.com/hearing-from-edmontonians/

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the repairs have been completed for that porta potty fire from last spring? The last time I went by 99ave/108st the west gate/pavilion was unpaired and looked quite poor.

Does anyone know if the repairs have been completed for that porta potty fire from last spring? The last time I went by 99ave/108st the west gate/pavilion was unpaired and looked quite poor.
It has not. I walked past last week my guess is they were waiting for spring to repair the siding and soffit.

I know there are some issues with supply chain, but this has been like that for almost a year now, no?

Thursday morning, I saw one street person kicked out of ATB Place. He proceeded to call the security guard the N-Word. What a jerk!

Last edited:

Back