News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

^That could easily be it but also you'll notice an uptick in issues at the end of the month/beginning of the month as people get paid.

I'm by 109 and Jasper, I'd say things have been not too bad over here last few months. It was much worse last year for the screaming/erratic/out of their mind on drugs types around here.

That said, I've seen a lot more lifeless bodies and people absolutely zombie nodded out around. Think it's gotta be something with what is really available. Supposedly a lot of fentanyl is being cut with some kind of tranquilizer? Idk
Unfortunately, tranquilizer is actually accurate.

we’re in riverdale and it’s worse (not just personally apocryphal but passing on what gets posted to community group websites etc.).

i’m also around boyle and macaulay and the north edge a fair bit and seeing more camps in more brazen locations in addition to those in the river valley and ravines (ie the 97th street bridge :( ).

Last edited:
Indeed, but like I said, in Portland homelessness was FAR more prevalent, but the city had far less broken and disrupted things and nearly everyone was chilled out (weed vs. meth?) comparatively speaking; this made walking around night and day compared to Edmonton and even Calgary.

Indeed, but like I said, in Portland homelessness was FAR more prevalent, but the city had far less broken and disrupted things and nearly everyone was chilled out (weed vs. meth?) comparatively speaking; this made walking around night and day compared to Edmonton and even Calgary.
Yeah, I read an article one time talking about how the US has a lot more homelessness caused by poverty and a lack of social safety nets. Where is canada is often more about drug use and mental health issues as our social supports are pretty good for the average person who ends up in a bad spot financially/housing wise.

So the safety and risks of homelessness today seems a lot worse here than in some American places.

Unfortunately when I look at things I honestly don't see my daily experience getting better. Maybe in some ways, but it's been getting worse in others. I find the general garbage and needles strewn on the streets has decreased which is good. However, and it could just be seasonal, the vandalism and presence of unhoused dealing with drug addiction who are passed out on the streets and the urine and defecation on public property has gotten much worse over the last few months. In particular vandalism and people randomly screaming out on the street or pushing over mailboxes, kicking public property or even using found weapons to destroy things has been much more visible in my experience. I've lived here almost 10 years and never seen it worse. Not even during the middle of the pandemic in 2020-2021. My experience is much more what @CaptainBL said. Much more vandalism and people passed out everywhere on the street than previously. Of course I hope it gets better but it's becoming increasingly unlikely I'm going to stay to find out.

Totally frustrating situation.

If you do make a move, I don't know that you have to give up the downtown lifestyle with a small change of location. I'm in Oliver south of Jasper a few blocks west of 109 st and it's a great spot for easy access to the places I go downtown, the river valley, and around 124 st and brewery district.

I haven't encountered much in the way of problems and certainly there are a number of older age seniors, as one example, in my building who feel comfortable walking around, as I've asked.

If you do make a move, I don't know that you have to give up the downtown lifestyle with a small change of location. I'm in Oliver south of Jasper a few blocks west of 109 st and it's a great spot for easy access to the places I go downtown, the river valley, and around 124 st and brewery district.

I haven't encountered much in the way of problems and certainly there are a number of older age seniors, as one example, in my building who feel comfortable walking around, as I've asked.
The ‘hot spots’ are definitely very concentrated in the centre city, as it depends on proximity to social services / shelters generally as well as transit and convenience stores (for the most part). The Milner library is another location as well.

This is why the COE is pushing to ‘decentralize’ the social services from Chinatown, but it’s tough because as they’re all non-profits, most don’t have the means to relocate.

I'm eyeballing a move to Oliver. Lots of nice new builds going up there. Just unfortunate that we can't do better right in the heart of our city, and I know I'm not alone in looking at this move. Probably one good reason so many new residential buildings are going up in the west of the core.

Last edited:

not only are the complaints up 60%, i would wager that things that would have been complained about last year are simply going unreported this year. that 60% is actually underreporting the real increases assuming the encampments are the issue that really needs to be addressed, not the complaints.
Now if only there was a level of government that had the financial means to tackle the homeless crisis…🤔

Dashboard on community safety and well-being now available​

July 5, 2023

The City of Edmonton is launching the Community Safety and Well-Being (CSWB) Dashboard.

The dashboard is grounded in Community Safety and Well-Being pillars (Anti-racism; Reconciliation; Safe and Inclusive Spaces; Equitable Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines; Pathways In and Out of Poverty; Crime Prevention and Crime Intervention; and Well-being) and is committed to being data-informed and equity-focused.

The dashboard will contain:
  • City-wide indicators that explore the holistic dimensions of safety, such as physical, cultural, and social/psychological safety; and various aspects of well-being rooted in the City’s Well-Being Framework and Social Determinants of Health, such as education, housing, recreation, and belonging.
  • Progress to date on key City of Edmonton-led CSWB initiatives.

The dashboard will be updated on a quarterly basis and continue to evolve as the City’s CSWB Evaluation Framework is finalized later in 2023.

To view the dashboard, and for more information on Edmonton’s Community Safety and Well-being Strategy, visit edmonton.ca/safetyandwellbeing.​

Interesting that Calgary opted not to continue with the 3 month provincial pilot program that brought 12 Sheriffs in to support police while Edmonton, where the same pilot was going on, is continuing it for another 10 months. Both cities were given option to continue.

Back