News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

Vis a vis for a visitor experience or investor it ABSOLUTELY does make sense.

Halifax is a major service centre for the area, has an international airport, major port, is a major tourism destination and centre of business and government... with a significant population of 400k+.

Most folks are not going to do a deep dive into 'ethnical, cultural and historical backgrounds', but rather take home (and more importantly share) how the experience was, did they feel safe/comfortable, was it a pleasant environment to explore.

As mentioned, the experience was truly night and day.

Vis a vis for a visitor experience or investor it ABSOLUTELY does make sense.

Halifax is a major service centre for the area, has an international airport, major port, is a major tourism destination and centre of business and government... with a significant population of 400k+.

Most folks are not going to do a deep dive into 'ethnical, cultural and historical backgrounds', but rather take home (and more importantly share) how the experience was, did they feel safe/comfortable, was it a pleasant environment to explore.

As mentioned, the experience was truly night and day.
But visitors are not the ones making the decisions that will lead to a good experience. We can aim for the experience, but the path there will be vastly different.

I'll agree with you there in that there is a lot of work to do, some great work finally happening, but a glaring issue.

That city doesn’t have a fraction the size of an indigenous population compared to us either…..so
I also feel it is a very different city. Drug issues seem to be much worse further west. Halifax is a much smaller city, but paradoxically also a major regional business centre.

Unlike here, Halifax's seems to have an interesting variety of repurposed older buildings, but of course they have a lot of history there and they have kept much of it.

Nice pictures though, I enjoyed seeing them. I have never been there, but it does look like a great place. I know someone who moved there and I hope to go there some time.

As pointed out, Halifax is far too small, with a different ethnical, cultural and historical backgrounds.
It doesn't mean we can't take some lessons, especially in terms of vibrancy, developing the urban environment, etc. But as for crime, it just does not make ANY sense to compare.
Exactly, Halifax and Edmonton/Calgary are in far different leagues. A better comparison would be Halifax and Kitchener/Waterloo, Victoria or even Saskatoon.

I consulted with a co-worker on this. It was driving me crazy to think that Hali's DT was in better shape with less desirables than our DT as Ian states. Apparently he is correct, their DT is less populated with undesirables, BUT that group of people hang out in neighborhoods called Lucasville and Preston. So if you want to see what we see in Boyle - go to those hoods. So yes, Ian is correct in a way.

I consulted with a co-worker on this. It was driving me crazy to think that Hali's DT was in better shape with less desirables than our DT as Ian states. Apparently he is correct, their DT is less populated with undesirables, BUT that group of people hang out in neighborhoods called Lucasville and Preston. So if you want to see what we see in Boyle - go to those hoods. So yes, Ian is correct in a way.
No one is denying that Ian is correct about the state of their DT. We should definitely aim to have a DT like theirs, as it is in far better shape than ours.
My only thing is that implying that we should model our actions after theirs, as means to achieve the same goals, because it is unlikely to work. The cities have much different sizes, geographies, cultural and ethnical makeups and dynamics. While some things can be replicated, the solution for crime, especially, is hardly going to be similar.

I have seen some more police and sherrifs around lately, so perhaps there was just a 3 to 6 month delay from announcements to implementation.

A rare opportunity to post some positive news in this thread :)

I live in Virginia Park, all they have succeeded in doing is pushing people out of Chinatown and towards us. It's an empty shell game they are claiming as a victory.

Back