News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

Was eating dinner last night with a large group at Pazzo Pazzo on 103 ave. While we were eating, some patrons entering the restaurant came in saying that a young guy in his 20s was outside harassing them and threatening to stab them. A couple minutes later the guy from outside hurled a large thermos at the window and shattered one of the panes and ran off absolutely frightening some of the people in our group who were seated next to the window.

A couple of us including the owner ran outside to catch the individual but he was gone. The owner was (understandably) quite upset because he said he had just replaced that pane the other day due to vandalism.

I live on 104th street and see things like this still more often than one should and its still such a incredible shame that people who want to enjoy downtown need to put up with this garbage and business owners continue to have to deal with this crap.

Just heading back from Portland, OR and man o man it is tent city down here; on another level, BUT never once felt in danger, threatened or concerned about my well-being. In Edmonton it feels far more worrisome and violent compared to what Portland and Seattle (was there in March) gave off.

For me.....the complete opposite of what you just said. Mind you, last time we were down there - my kid was 14yrs old and and I was busy be a protective dad. But man-o-man - the homeless down there is mind blowing!!!!

That's really disappointing. As someone who lives downtown I'm getting increasingly disheartened about the state of things. The bad news like this far outweighs the good, and the living experience has gone way down hill. Might finally be time for me to leave.

That's really disappointing. As someone who lives downtown I'm getting increasingly disheartened about the state of things. The bad news like this far outweighs the good, and the living experience has gone way down hill. Might finally be time for me to leave.
I am in the same boat. Living on 104th, I have had enough of the vandalism, the harrassement, the urine and garbage around our building, stepping over bodies at our front entrance, etc. No, it isnt all bad but in too many instances the bad continues to outweigh the good and I am considering leaving downtown.

Things have been a huge challenge and it's not over but generally I find my daily experience getting better. The City's recent efforts on cleaning and ongoing vibrancy/festivals helps. But ya there's still a lot to do to make Downtown attractive and safe for all residents.

Things have been a huge challenge and it's not over but generally I find my daily experience getting better. The City's recent efforts on cleaning and ongoing vibrancy/festivals helps. But ya there's still a lot to do to make Downtown attractive and safe for all residents.
You seldom see a positive story in the newspaper and with limited resources these days journalism tends to follow the course of least resistance, which is mostly to runs stories that fit current perceptions or narrative. I am downtown everyday and see it gradually improving on a day to day basis, but changing perceptions will take longer.

Unfortunately when I look at things I honestly don't see my daily experience getting better. Maybe in some ways, but it's been getting worse in others. I find the general garbage and needles strewn on the streets has decreased which is good. However, and it could just be seasonal, the vandalism and presence of unhoused dealing with drug addiction who are passed out on the streets and the urine and defecation on public property has gotten much worse over the last few months. In particular vandalism and people randomly screaming out on the street or pushing over mailboxes, kicking public property or even using found weapons to destroy things has been much more visible in my experience. I've lived here almost 10 years and never seen it worse. Not even during the middle of the pandemic in 2020-2021. My experience is much more what @CaptainBL said. Much more vandalism and people passed out everywhere on the street than previously. Of course I hope it gets better but it's becoming increasingly unlikely I'm going to stay to find out.

Things do vary from day to day, but in the areas I regularly go I would say the current problems are 50% to 75% less than a few months ago or a year ago.

It will probably never be perfect and change is not always consistent (some days better, some not) but I definitely do notice improvement over time.

Things do vary from day to day, but in the areas I regularly go I would say the current problems are 50% to 75% less than a few months ago or a year ago.

It will probably never be perfect and change is not always consistent (some days better, some not) but I definitely do notice improvement over time.
Which area of downtown do you live in? I'm right next to the mall.

I am a few blocks further west, but not that far away. I do go to the mall sometimes too but not every day.

I'm by 109 and Jasper, I'd say things have been not too bad over here last few months. It was much worse last year for the screaming/erratic/out of their mind on drugs types around here.

That said, I've seen a lot more lifeless bodies and people absolutely zombie nodded out around. Think it's gotta be something with what is really available. Supposedly a lot of fentanyl is being cut with some kind of tranquilizer? Idk

Back