News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Also everyone there wants to be next to the river, westbound riders shouldn't be marooned across the car traffic from it. a bi-directional lane would simplify things here.

You can't see the river from your bike when riding on the south bike lane heading east. You can't even see much of the river valley - it's blocked by the trees. Still a pretty ride though - on both sides.

Also these bike lanes are not like the 76ave or 106 street versions. The westbound bike lane is almost 8 feet wide from the curb and can handle two riders side by side.

While making this post I might as well update the parking - I also checked visitor parking situation around 5:30pm Monday (dinner time) and it was even less busy than Sunday afternoon where I posted pics.

Last edited:
You can't see the river from your bike when riding on the south bike lane heading east. You can't even see much of the river valley - it's blocked by the trees. Still a pretty ride though - on both sides.

Also these bike lanes are not like the 76ave or 106 street versions. The westbound bike lane is almost 8 feet wide from the curb and can handle two riders side by side.

While making this post I might as well update the parking - I also checked visitor parking situation around 5:30pm Monday (dinner time) and it was even less busy than Sunday afternoon where I posted pics.
I'll echo your feelings, especially regarding parking.
I've lived in the promenade for almost 3 years and this was NEVER a real issue.

I think this would be a sweet spot to pedestrianize fully one day, add a playground. Sell/lease spaces for cafes. I’m assuming there would be some parkade or other access issues though. Just such a prime strip to unleash for the people! Could be a real destination. And I know Oliver wants/needs more park space.

I think this would be a sweet spot to pedestrianize fully one day, add a playground. Sell/lease spaces for cafes. I’m assuming there would be some parkade or other access issues though. Just such a prime strip to unleash for the people! Could be a real destination. And I know Oliver wants/needs more park space.

I think about four maybe five buildings have their parkade access from 100 Ave.

The Whitemud pedestrian bridge connecting Royal Gardens and Malmo is closed now for reconstruction, FYI, for those who ride/commute through there. Talked to some workers there and they didn't really know how long it'd take, but my guess is it could be at least up to a month due to the extent of work planned.

While we're at it, hopefully something is planned for Victoria Park Rd soon as well to widen that sidewalk into a MUP. The connection to the trail leading to the High Level Bridge/Glenora from there is pretty poorly marked and a pain to access. Given the newly widened Groat Bridge MUP, this area is essentially a missing link now.

I can agree with that under one condition. Install an infinity pool overlooking the river valley.

On that note, the Hotel MacDonald should also have a heated infinity pool to reclaim the top spot among hotels in Edmonton.

Found this interesting design of a two-way protected bike lane that retained a certain amount of parking while also providing bike racks, in Victoria. I wonder if something similar could work here.

I've been wondering what people's success rate is with the automatic bike detection sensors at crossings?

I never seem to be able to get them to trigger with my e-bike, and I've been wondering if it's just because it's so much larger than a normal bike it's being excluded or something. I've got a Radrunner for context.
But it ends up being really obnoxious, and forces me onto sidewalks to hit the crosswalk button when I need it, which of course is worse. I'd really rather just have a crossing button for bikes instead of these detection loops that never work for me..

I've been wondering what people's success rate is with the automatic bike detection sensors at crossings?

I never seem to be able to get them to trigger with my e-bike, and I've been wondering if it's just because it's so much larger than a normal bike it's being excluded or something. I've got a Radrunner for context.
But it ends up being really obnoxious, and forces me onto sidewalks to hit the crosswalk button when I need it, which of course is worse. I'd really rather just have a crossing button for bikes instead of these detection loops that never work for me..
That's weird. Maybe it is your ebike, because I have a pedal bike and I've only had an issue once or twice. Mind you, I usually stick to the same general area so I don't have the most diverse experience.

The bike-specific ones on 106 St lane and 83 Ave lane work just fine for me, and my bike is pretty light. The regular ones (mainly on collector roads leaving neighborhoods) however are a different story.

The Lendrum portion of the new 115St MUP (behind the UAlberta farm) was paved this last week. Hoping it'll be open soon!
tempImageuGGkvt.jpg

The Lendrum portion of the new 115St MUP (behind the UAlberta farm) was paved this last week. Hoping it'll be open soon!View attachment 414241
This is great, those speed bumps are so annoying to bike over, too bad for me they didn’t do that before I graduated and no longer need to bike down to Ainlay 🙄

The only one that consistently gives me trouble is going south on 136 street at 102 ave. Going north detection there seems to work fine. All other ones I have come across seem to be OK.

Back