News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

It's on - protected bike lanes on each side of promenade.As you can see from the message on the sign, not everyone is impressed.

20220710_154902.jpg
20220710_154938.jpg

All the area condos and apartments signed petition against the above promenade bike lanes - one of the main arguments was parking for their guests.
So I spent 10 minutes Sunday afternoon checking out the visitor parking behind all the buildings signing petition - Jasper House, Carlisle, Arcadia, Mayflower, Victoria Promenade, Grovsenor House and more. All of them had available parking- in some cases lots of it.
There was even some street parking available just off 100 Ave.

Part 1
20220710_162243.jpg
20220710_162159.jpg
20220710_162143.jpg
20220710_162125.jpg
20220710_161943.jpg
20220710_161802.jpg
20220710_161635.jpg

To be fair, the parking is a much bigger issue around dinner time when people have guests and food deliveries are being made.

But doesn't hurt to see how this rolls out and maybe it won't be as big an issue as I think it might be.

To be fair, the parking is a much bigger issue around dinner time when people have guests and food deliveries are being made.

But doesn't hurt to see how this rolls out and maybe it won't be as big an issue as I think it might be.

There are still a few parking spots on 100 Ave where the bike lane is as well as some 5 minute loading zone parking spaces just off 100Ave on several streets which would serve food delivery.

One way bike lanes? WTF

Another stupid solution in search of a problem.
One-way bike lanes on either side of the road are actually better for cycling than the usual bi-directional 'cycle tracks' the city has been building lately, as you go in the direction of traffic (except here where traffic is one-way).

One-way bike lanes on either side of the road are actually better for cycling than the usual bi-directional 'cycle tracks' the city has been building lately, as you go in the direction of traffic (except here where traffic is one-way).
Yes, I think that is a better idea too. Interestingly, I was parked on a one way street the other day and had a bike go right by me. It is a good thing I wasn't opening the car door right then.

I didn't expect a bike on the road, as there is a bike lane (bi-directional) on the other side of the road, but for whatever reason the person was not using it (maybe they didn't realize it was bi-directional).

It's not just the one way bike lanes, the bollards and temporary medians sticking up all over the place makes one of Edmonton's most scenic street look ugly.

I absolutely hate that temporary shit popping up all over the city.

It's not just the one way bike lanes, the bollards and temporary medians sticking up all over the place makes one of Edmonton's most scenic street look ugly.

I absolutely hate that temporary shit popping up all over the city.
The street is very scenic, but the road itself is pretty ugly with all the patch jobs. Adding some bollards didn't make it much worse imo.

Having some Vancouver style planter barriers would be great though.

Bidirectional is nice for passing and side by side riding though. Until we start building wider single lanes, I actually prefer bi. Also, snow clearing is usually poor and has snow covering half the lanes.
yesssssss. bi-directional wayyy better. the one ways are too narrow, and get dangerous at intersections (see 109 and 76th).
that aside, looking at this specific location, a bi-directional lane on the south side of the street would have allowed for some parking ion the north side. also everyone there wants to be next to the river, westbound riders shouldn't be marooned across the car traffic from it. a bi-directional lane would simplify things here.

Back