News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Riding in from St Albert today. ride was quite good up to 116st and 105 ave then it was find a road into downtown. Seems lots of roads are dug up right now. and add the Taste of Edmonton is blocking roads around the square. Will try the new 102 bike way for part of my ride back today.

I've been wondering what people's success rate is with the automatic bike detection sensors at crossings?

I never seem to be able to get them to trigger with my e-bike, and I've been wondering if it's just because it's so much larger than a normal bike it's being excluded or something. I've got a Radrunner for context.
But it ends up being really obnoxious, and forces me onto sidewalks to hit the crosswalk button when I need it, which of course is worse. I'd really rather just have a crossing button for bikes instead of these detection loops that never work for me..
Is the 92 Street @ 111 Ave one causing you trouble?

I'm noticing more bicycle traffic on 102 Ave.

Nice to see the bike racks well used at the dt library today.

20220722_191224.jpg

Those are the most bikes I've seen on those racks, but no doubt due to Tase of Edmonton.

And due to continued efforts and advocacy to enhance bike infrastructure and interconnected routes and prioritizing multiple modes of transportation along with vehicles when designing our spaces.

There were bikes locked up all around Churchill Square and scooters and e-bikes. Compare the number of bikes going to Taste of Edmonton at Churchill over the next 5 years from now and we will see way more than this I have no doubt.

And due to continued efforts and advocacy to enhance bike infrastructure and interconnected routes and prioritizing multiple modes of transportation along with vehicles when designing our spaces.

There were bikes locked up all around Churchill Square and scooters and e-bikes. Compare the number of bikes going to Taste of Edmonton at Churchill over the next 5 years from now and we will see way more than this I have no doubt.
I'm absolutely thrilled that e-bike rentals are available this year. Even if it's only 200 to start with, it's such a great way to break down the cost barriers so that more people are exposed to that technology, planting the seed of how they can be an alternative to cars.

Riding out to Beaumont on Sunday. Started near the Terwilliger rec centre. I am quite impressed with the MUP network out to the SW. we were able to stay relatively out of Traffic most of the way out of town. Almost all the new neighborhoods have great networks through them.

I live in Oliver on 113 street south of Jasper and I had to go to Londonderry last week. I rode my bike there in 40 minutes vs. 25 minutes to drive.
I took 102Ave bike lane east to 96st and then north to the MUP along LRT. I was able to take that all the way to 66st and Fort Rd. That part was super fast. Then I just took side streets to 144 Avenue and enjoyed reminiscening through the neighbourhoods I grew up in. I could have easily saved another few minutes if I wanted to.
I love active transportation - I got a lot of physical activity into my day and just enjoyed the ride and sights and sounds along the way.

Back