News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Goggles for temps -15 and lower.
I have poggies now on my bars and that helps with the cold. One more layer.

With the lack of snow this year studs were a must. now that we have some snow it at least will get grippy.

Have not been commuting since its a 50 min ride on a cross bike. and I switched to Fat this year. I use a fleece liner under my helmet but -15 and colder I use a ski helmet and a cowl.
overall this year has been good for riding. A lot of friends have switched to studded tires for their Gravel and Cross bikes.

My problem is I've been lazy to cycle. I've let myself get out of shape. But it's still the winters fault, lol, just kidding. Edmonton is getting better, but with guys like Nickel that will change for yhe worse.

OOOOh -- 0000h I've got the answer -- it's a new invention. Now -- you have to put yourself in the middle of a large enclosed "hamster wheel" where the pedal chain is connected to a driving "axle" through a series of gears that then turns the outer wheel -- this gives you the "fat wheel" for traction. the entire outer casing is made of light-weight acrylic for all-round viewing capabilities. An acrylic door lets you into the "riding chamber". Now you have a unicycle that protects the rider from the elements, gives unfettered viewing, and can negotiate any weather -- sun, snow, rain and hail. There is even the possibility of having ride-along passengers. The outer acrylic wheel would be ribbed for grip and to elevate the acrylic away from abrasive surfaces. Lights could be mounted internally. Audio would blast your favorite ACDC tracks. Side panels could be removed for warm weather. All mechanical elements could be positioned well below the center of gravity to prevent tipping over. Move over rover!

This one is kind of important to me considering my hit-and-run a few years ago was the result of someone passing me unsafely.

I know a bylaw alone won't necessarily stop aggressive and impatient drivers, but having it enshrined in law will help safe drivers to remember it, while giving law enforcement more tools to charge drivers who act in a manner that threatens the safety of other, more vulnerable people.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this before. I just found it today on Amazon Prime movies, which I thought was kind of cool, pun intended 🚴

Snow Warrior documentary short

Screenshot_20210326-135846_Instagram.jpg

Very cool @TAS!
I couldn't click to open the bio.
I hope you don't mind but I'll post the same from LinkedIn. It should open without having to sign in.

What If Bike Paths Looked Like Subway Maps?​

• Published on February 18, 2021
Steffen Shaigec

Steffen Shaigec​

Passionate About Engineering a Sustainable Future With Renewable Energy // Experience in ESRI ArcGIS, ENVI Remote Sensing, and Autodesk CAD Software Suites
1 article Follow

Months ago I found myself graduating from university in the middle of a pandemic. The job market was rough and for many months nonexistent, I asked myself as a recent graduate, how can I use this time to develop my skills.
It was then that I came across an article on Twitter about the use of cycling as a method of transportation. This led me to the conclusion that generally in North America and particularly in Edmonton, Canada, where I am from, that cycling is perceived more as a leisure activity than a useful method of transportation. Sure some people do it, even I rode my bike to campus when the weather allowed, but why doesn't Edmonton see the widespread appeal of biking the same way that people in the Netherlands do. I questioned then how transportation in the form of cycling can be made more appealing.
Researching the bike paths that exist in Edmonton led me to find the City's bike network map. See it here for yourself. It looks complicated, right?

Back