News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Moved to Edmonton early this year after living (from most recent to oldest) in Houston Tx, Oshawa ON, Montreal, Mexico (Guadalajara, Puebla, SLP). Of those cities in terms of biking infrastructure I think Edmonton is the best, commuting or just riding in the River Valley away from cars is a huge luxury and believe it's better than the Don Valley system in TO or the Bayous in Houston. I also find drivers to be friendly to bicycles, specially compared to Houston even though like in all bike communities I hear a lot of complaining about Edmonton drivers, I guess most people don't know any worse. In my opinion Edmonton is getting to a tipping point where bike infrastructure is part of any new transportation development and the map ^^^^^^ although aspirational is likely to be close in terms of route density to what will happen eventually.

Can't believe I missed its release! I've been trying to eye it diligently. I swear I even check yesterday around noon!

Also, I feel obligated to throw my opinion in and say I much prefer separated bike lanes on both sides of the car lanes (like in the Netherlands). Curious why you prefer both on one side!

Good to see the work being done on this!

One thing I wonder (although I'm sure the people running these projects know way better what they're doing), is if making this city-wide impedes the success? It seems as though if they limited the scope, they could really hit it out of the park. But by trying to do the whole city at once it leads to less effective implementation I'd think. If they just said, University, mkernan, whyte, mill creek, bonnie, then like jasper park, crestwood, grovenor, glenora, westmount. If they just identified the core neighbourhoods most likely to adapt biking for commuting, then I'd imagine it would attract bikers there also.

So few people in the suburbs bike outside of recreation in the warm months. Why put all the time and money into those areas for 10 more people from terwillegar to bike? why not identify an area like Canora and say, we want to see 200 new bikers from this area.

With both biking and transit, until they can replace a car, or limit a household to 1 instead of 2, they don't have much strength I think. Cars cost money whether you drive them or not, the marginal cost to drive is little. It's the insurance and vehicle cost. So if I own a car, I'll mostly use it. If biking/transit is a good enough replacement, I won't own a car. So why not also look at making biking pair with transit? I could imagine on the new LRT routes lots of people biking in the summers, but taking transit in the winter due to weather. Converting car owners to active transport/transit feels like the most critical metric. Not sure this will do this as effectively.

These plans seem decent, but more a quantity over quality approach I think. Thoughts from others who might know more about the strategy?

@thommyjo Well said, I agree with you. Quality over quantity (in this case).

So few people in the suburbs bike outside of recreation in the warm months. Why put all the time and money into those areas for 10 more people from terwillegar to bike? why not identify an area like Canora and say, we want to see 200 new bikers from this area.

Thinking long term, if 15 minute districts visioned in the City Plan are realized, then biking there will be essential too for commutes. One could easily argue a city-wide plan is also necessary to realize that vision.

this is a long-term document, to act as a guide for smaller proposals and actual projects to follow. it has very little by way of design guidelines, and none of the proposed routes are actually funded or really committed to beyond being a map. This document guides any actual plans and construction, like neighbourhood renewal, which often serves as a vehicle to add bike infrastructure. So yeah, the scope is huge here, but the idea is coordinate smaller moves later on. One thing i will advocate for though is bike usage in suburbs. to cut a large tangent short, there is a lot of cycling already happening in these areas, and improving connectivity to jobs and the rest of city would help take this activity from a passtime or aspiration mode of transport to a feasible one. it seems futile to focus on suburban biking now, but i think there is more potential than we think.
@DutchBoy I say that based on my experiences with them here in edmonton. the split lanes we have here are 4' wide, so you ride single file, often with a sidewalk on one side and parked cars (door risk) on the other. the narrow width means you can't pass anyone, meaning you get stuck behind slow people. I myself have been passed a few times on 76 ave (the split direction lane i use most) by more experienced riders, riding with traffic. they ought to be riding in the lane, but the lane gets them stuck behind slow people, so they don't. Th narrower lanes make the bike lane less useable to other traffic, like mobility scooters and specialty bikes, again due to how narrow they are. It's becoming common to see people in motorized wheelchairs, joggers with strollers, and other traffic of the like in the bike lanes because sidewalks are too narrow/curb cuts too awkward. this traffic isn't accomodated well in the single-file lanes, and if a bike comes up behind them, the bike can't pass safely. the split lanes also result in having a bike lane to the right of traffic in both directions, often with less of a median in between, reducing visual cues that the bike lane is there. with right-on-red legal here, a lot of drivers will cut out across the lane, not noticing it's there. the bi-directional lanes, being wider and more visible, aren't as susceptible to this. lastly, the split lanes bugger with traffic more. they often shut down parking on both sides of the street, inconveniencing residents more than the lane being on one side would. split lanes also mean bus stops on both sides of the street need to be elevated, the lane jogged, etc, with only 4'-5' of extra space to made available, rather than having a full 8'-10' lane for transit riders and cyclists to wait/negotiate within. the bus stops end up crammed into the already narrow lane. In short, i find them inconvenient as a cyclist, less of an asset to other users, and more difficult to navigate quickly and safely compared to a wider bi-directional lane. no solution is perfect, i know, but i prefer the bi-directionals.

Coming to Ritchie (east Whyte):

Description: To change the use of a suite/tenant space from Major Amusement Establishment back to General Retail Store and to construct interior alteratoins, ''Edmonton Electric Bike Company LTD''. New Tenant fit-up.
Permit date: January 18, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Retail and Shops (510)
Address: 10107 - 81 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: RITCHIE
Zoning: DC1
Value: $10,000.00

Very cool. I've been researching e-bikes recently, glad to see Pedego opening in Edmonton. I'll be checking them out.
side note: I mentioned before that I plan on becoming an ETS/bike/kayak commuter, well I just recently sold my Dodge Dakota truck and will sell my Honda Civic about the time the Valley Line goes into service. Hopefully.

Very cool. I've been researching e-bikes recently, glad to see Pedego opening in Edmonton. I'll be checking them out.
side note: I mentioned before that I plan on becoming an ETS/bike/kayak commuter, well I just recently sold my Dodge Dakota truck and will sell my Honda Civic about the time the Valley Line goes into service. Hopefully.
I wish I had that commitment and was getting rid of my car, but I just take driving as a hobby way too much. Best I'll do is go electric this year and get a Tesla, and, for that matter, an e-bike to commute to work.

Great new video from this guy. Roasts Canada, but edmonton gets a little shout out!

That 15 minutes just awakened something inside of me. I feel so enlightened now and... oddly relieved. Brb Imma go buy studded tires now 👋😆

Seriously though, how spot on was that guy in point out how ridiculous the whole "Winter cold boo-hoo" argument is?? If you bundle up with the normal winter attire and, on especially cold days, gear that you'd wear skiing (like goggles, balaclavas, etc.) it'll be just fine biking in the cold, and if we advocated for the city to regularly clear bike paths right after snow and during snow (or at least compact the snow down) biking would be a breeze. I feel genuinely motivated to get out there and go biking now in the dead of winter, but I think I could use some winter tires to help me with my coordination lmao.

Edmonton is a great city for winter riding. Not sure about the commuting part but there are many people that do it. I think it comes down to infrastructure (dedicated, separated paths) and the overall length of the commute which is the main point the video tries to make. By the way studded tires are great. I have them on my fatbike and I also have ones that are meant for commuting on an old mountain bike for bike path riding. The packing/clearing of the separate bike paths here is more than adequate, on the shared ones, not so much.

This video is excellent, every point is valid.
I went out for 3.5 hours yesterday (bad route planning lol) and didn't even wear an actual jacket most of the time. it's just as hard to keep yourself cool as it is to stay warm most of the time. studded tires and a nice bike help in winter definitely, but don't let not having studded tires or a fat bike stop you! honestly, the bike lanes are serviceable most of the time, and a lot of the river valley is nice and packed down right now, the trails are smoother than they are in summer in a lot of places lol. If my busted, rusty, skinny-tired Giant with dead front shocks, dead rear derailleur and randomly-downshifting front gear can make it to Mill Woods and back, any able-bodied person can bike down the bike lanes right now. it might not be ideal, but it's a lot more doable than you'd think. Don't let a bike be a barrier, give it a shot!
I think there's a bit of fetishization or self-aggrandizement that comes with winter in Canada; that it's so cold we need to dress to the nines in expensive snow gear, we think we need fany winter toys like snowmobiles and expensive bikes to even attempt to handle the terrain, SUVs to drive through snowdrifts, etc. It throws up an unnecessary social barrier towards going out for people who don't have access to those things. You don't need all that to get out there! Going out on a bike on a short trip to test things out, then slowly going farther and farther as it gets colder and colder helps you learn just how crazy far out your limits actually are. We deeeffffffinitely mollycoddle ourselves in winter in Canada, at least us city-dwellers.
Sorry, i'll step off my soapbox now. This video has a very valid key point about the cold and how we approach it mentally. Don't let gear or other people's assumptions/skepticism stop you from trying something out. be safe, but honestly it isn't thaaaaaat cold out.

Last edited:
Yep, for the most part winter cycling - even commuting - in Edmonton is not bad, and has been steadily improving. Lots of room for improvement around snow clearing in a timely fashion, but overall it's actually a very enjoyable experience. The cold isn't a factor for me, nor most of my bike commuting friends at all.

I did find I needed studded tires because we do get a lot of ice since we clear to pavement rather than a snow pack. If it wasn't for that, or if I could stick to mostly cycletracks, I wouldn't bother with those.

I did find need goggles because I found my eyes are very sensitive to cold air being pushed directly into them, but not everyone will find the same.

Other than that, I usually just wear a thin cycling jacket which is good down to about -20C, a toque under my helmet, and a scarf that I can use to cover my face when I need to. Below -20C and I just throw on a slightly heavier jacket. Heavy mitts that keep your fingers together are also better than gloves on extra cold days, but again this will depend a lot on how long you're out there. Depending on the amount of slush I may or may not need splash pants, but they are also useful as another layer in the extra cold as well, but again, YMMV.

Before the cold and snow hit, this mild winter was really nice for riding. I didn't get out much due to COVID, but when I did I was able to just take my regular cruiser with skinnier tires out.

Back