News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

This is on 142nd Street just south of 102 Ave. New sidewalk poured right to the edge of this hazard. And it's just left and still lights up at night. Stuff like this shows that either planners don't walk sites or the system is too rigid to fix or worse no one cares. One thing is obvious, none of the people involved high up are in wheelchairs or mobility impaired. This type of planning greys my hair prematurely.

View attachment 576280
Could it be that this is an older streetlight that will be removed before construction wraps up? It seems extremely odd to me.

I seem to recall seeing this type of thing a few times during construction, though I can't remember exactly where, and if memory serves it usually looks a little more temporary (ie: just asphalt). I'd be very, very surprised if this is final though, there's just no way I can rationalize in my mind anyone signing off on this as the final design.

So just to clarify: You can see that is existing sidewalk concrete right up to where the light post is, and new sidewalk concrete thereafter. So this precludes VLW construction by awhile (see image below from 2012)

Looks like originally it was OK because the previously standing buildings on that Alldritt site had a small setback with concrete sidewalk adjacent to the sidewalk, so it wouldn't have been (much) of an accessibility problem before, but when Aldritt tore down the buildings and put up a fence, they removed that concrete setback as well, leaving just the sidewalk with a light post smack dab in the middle of it.

Why it hasn't been updated now? Either somehow this lightpost exists right at the project boundary for this spread, or maybe Marigold is fighting with EPCOR/CoE over whose responsibility it is. Who knows. Horrible optics on it regardless.

1719934039455.png

Back