News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defau...tage2-Construction-Bulletin.pdf?cb=1688178555. This is a bit frustrating. The city recommends you use the Rainbow Valley Road. Since construction started I’ve had a a few run ins with likely construction staff driving like idiots on this road to get there in the early morning. Btw there is still no shared path beside Rainbow Valley Road.
Had to detour the other day heading eastbound from Brookside towards 122/119 St - now they have you going over the bridge using the MUP, halfway climbing up the hill, then down again to Snow Valley, then up Rainbow Valley Road. Very inconvenient...
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.44.49 AM.png

I would also suggest:
Changing lanes as they make a turn (not turning into the nearest lane).
Stopping for flashing amber crosswalks.
Incorrect merging onto highways, not matching speed.
Right turns on red specifically around the new LRT.
Distracted driving/use of a cell phone while driving.
Stopping on crosswalks.

Anything I'm missing here?
Not signaling for turns. If I can be bothered to use hand signals on a bike while actively needing my hands to steer/ride, surely drivers can flick their wrists momentarily while controlling their thousand pound vehicles to signal their intentions...

Last edited:
I biked to the Heritage Festival this year, from Saskatchewan Drive to Borden Park it took me half an hour, and except for the very small segment on 113 avenue between 82nd St and the park, it was a fairly pleasant and safe experience, with bike paths or SUPs all the way. I would like to point out, however, that 112 avenue, east of the Commonwealth, could very well do with an SUP or a bike lane, as well as 103A avenue, east of 99 street.

Some info from insiders on that 100mil that’s been somewhat quiet this year. Still a good year till we start to have new infrastructure, but hopefully in 3 years we start to feel the impacts.
View attachment 498559

Thanks for sharing. I was hoping a decent amount of that planning work was already done through this Edmonton Bike Plan Implementation Guide 2021-2026.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3-19m09JvywrIWEYe3wAQ9

Edmonton also received $8.9M from feds earlier this year for some of the planning and study work, which should make that $100M go a bit further in terms of actual infrastructure.

Thanks for sharing. I was hoping a decent amount of that planning work was already done through this Edmonton Bike Plan Implementation Guide 2021-2026.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/BikePlan-ImplementationGuide.pdf?cb=1683282830&ved=2ahUKEwi8uLTB1s6AAxW6MDQIHWazBG4QFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3-19m09JvywrIWEYe3wAQ9

Edmonton also received $8.9M from feds earlier this year for some of the planning and study work, which should make that $100M go a bit further in terms of actual infrastructure.

That’s was I told my city buddy as well haha. Why does it take 12 months to plan something already 50% planned? Multiple FT employees every week for a year is a lot of capacity….for a few district connectors? Idk. Glad we’re getting them. Frustrating we talk about climate emergencies though and then stuff like this and making the LRT safe take years… words vs actions.

Survey is open for West Glenwood Neighbourhood Renewal!
West Central is getting some good bike infrastructure with the Bike Plan, but this neighbourhood renewal will give a great expansion of the possible grid on the west end. Please help out if you have a few minutes to advocate for continuous crossings, bike lanes/paths, wider sidewalks, etc.

Biked from Bonnie Doon to pick up my vehicle at Gateway Toyota. 91st MUP needs some love south of Henday. Some big asphalt lifts. And then signage of where to go when you get to Ellerslie. Such simple solutions to make it easier and safer to bike.
Definitely. In addition, last time I rode it I found that the alignments of the curb ramps north of 23 Ave along 91 St towards the Whitemud are pretty bad/awkward too.

Back