News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Does anyone foresee a time when there is a SUP along 100 ave from 231st that would connect to the 178st or 163st SUP? It is a big missing link with a lot of potential.

Does anyone foresee a time when there is a SUP along 100 ave from 231st that would connect to the 178st or 163st SUP? It is a big missing link with a lot of potential.
Not sure I see that getting built anytime with the current sites restrictions and henday crossing.

More logically, 87ave is the play. But the west valley LRT project royally f-d up by not ensuring high quality bike infrastructure around the project area. Instead there will be inefficient MUPs that switch sides constantly and force crossings that’ll make most people not even want to bike.

I wish they had elevated the whole line with a bi directional bike lane underneath the entire way. The 87ave, 156st, stony plain road, and 104ave corridors could all use high quality bike lanes and would give a major boost to a west end grid. Such a missed opportunity.

85BC7583-2F35-4859-8B87-97EA122B3721.jpeg
9B535D02-AD7C-48BC-ACFC-23B2FDF3B799.jpeg
2B9F06CE-F689-4887-9331-886D9293381E.jpeg
CA9DA684-360D-436E-B97D-AFE13BC1BA5B.jpeg

Was just in Oslo and this is a nice complete street and main corridor. Wide pedestrian plaza with lots of vegetation, bike lanes, car lanes and tram/lrt in the middle - but bike lane not always protected. In fact most bike lanes i saw weren't. But traffic speeds definitely slower - 40 and 30 most places I saw.

And the cross walk is raised so people aren't stepping down and it natural slows traffic speed down.

Screenshot_20231002-151422_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231002-151605_Gallery.jpg

I'm in Stockholm now and there is an incredible amount of people biking here - way more than Oslo and almost like Copenhagen - although infrastructure not as good yet. Definitely more bikes than cars on this main thoroughfare in Central part of city - and all ages (adults).

Screenshot_20231002-152252_Gallery.jpg
20231002_094001.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231002-151441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002-151441_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Does anyone on the north side want to take a photo of the 132 Ave complete street project's first phase progress? I imagine that with winter coming, they are getting close to complete.

Does anyone on the north side want to take a photo of the 132 Ave complete street project's first phase progress? I imagine that with winter coming, they are getting close to complete.

I went for a bike ride today to check it out. Unfortunately they are still doing concrete work and nothing is paved yet. I think its a few more weeks out before we can get some shots of the first phase. I am incredibly impressed with the design so far they hit a home run on design and safety. I hope this is the metric for future road work in secondary through roads that are all over Edmonton and it's well used and received. (side note, holy smokes i had no idea how cute 129th Ave was through Calder, man that area is dripping with charm)

Other good news on the cycling front in that general area. The MUP along Castledowns road is ready to go with landscaping remaining the south side has a paved path now from 112st to 97th street. They also connected in the opposing direction out to the powerline route to the west. Additionally the redone segment on 112 i think connects up with the existing pathway at 171 Ave. The city has done some really excellent work in repaving and making that whole area more friendly for recreation and cycling ahead of future investments with the LRT expansion in years to come. Really underappreciated area in general and i am glad they are getting some love. Going to add those updates to the open street map if anyone uses them.

The youtube feature on Edmonton's active transportation investment gets released tomorrow (Oct. 11) at 7pm. - like the 132 Ave project above that is getting national and international play as will this production from Shifter (Tom Babin is a journalist), these things are only good for the city's image.

Here is the description.

What do you think is the most exciting bike city in North America? New York? Montreal? How about ... Edmonton?!

Yes, the northern Canadian city's council has just pledged $100M toward cycling over the next four years, which could be a massive improvement for everyone in the city.

But the question is how? At a time when bike advocates are struggling in so many cities to win investments from political leaders, what happened that enabled Edmonton to make this potentially transformative change?

When I received an invitation from Edmonton City Councillor Michael Janz to explore, I jumped at the opportunity.

0:00 Introduction
1:50 Coun. Michael Janz explains why he cares about cycling
3:45 City engineer explains the plan
4:26 What's this development guy doing talking about urban transportation?
7:15 Bike advocate on how it all came together
8:03 Bike-friendly business owners
9:16 Another bike-positive city councillor?!
11:33 How will the city change?
12:58 A community approach to cycling advocacy
16:30 My takeaways for your city

Last edited:
The youtube feature on Edmonton's active transportation investment gets released tomorrow (Oct. 11) at 7pm. - like the 132 Ave project above that is getting national and international play as will this production from Shifter (Tom Babin is a journalist), these things are only good for the city's image.

Here is the description.

What do you think is the most exciting bike city in North America? New York? Montreal? How about ... Edmonton?!

Yes, the northern Canadian city's council has just pledged $100M toward cycling over the next four years, which could be a massive improvement for everyone in the city.

But the question is how? At a time when bike advocates are struggling in so many cities to win investments from political leaders, what happened that enabled Edmonton to make this potentially transformative change?

When I received an invitation from Edmonton City Councillor Michael Janz to explore, I jumped at the opportunity.

0:00 Introduction
1:50 Coun. Michael Janz explains why he cares about cycling
3:45 City engineer explains the plan
4:26 What's this development guy doing talking about urban transportation?
7:15 Bike advocate on how it all came together
8:03 Bike-friendly business owners
9:16 Another bike-positive city councillor?!
11:33 How will the city change?
12:58 A community approach to cycling advocacy
16:30 My takeaways for your city
We love to see more positive attention for Edmonton! I really think we need to push more and more of this as a city to outsiders. We don’t have the reputation of being an urbanist utopia, but there’s something to be said about the fact that we’re trying and actually forging ahead of our peers. The zoning bylaw for one should have the same effect for us.

We love to see more positive attention for Edmonton! I really think we need to push more and more of this as a city to outsiders. We don’t have the reputation of being an urbanist utopia, but there’s something to be said about the fact that we’re trying and actually forging ahead of our peers. The zoning bylaw for one should have the same effect for us.
Noooo! Lets keep our precious Edmonton to ourselves and lay low. They can all go to Calgary. Let us be known as Deadmonton. 👀

Fantastic was excited to see Tom had a video on Edmonton, i can't wait to watch it tomorrow. Keep the investment into cycling and active transport going, its peanuts in the grand scheme and offers so much value for us all. I really hope he has some info on 132 Ave it truly is a design we can all be proud of and hopefully replicate elsewhere. Got me all excited about cycling here, now about this whole winter thing...

Loving this attention on the city and I hope this gives us good rep out there!

I eagerly await similar videos from urbanists when we get our zoning bylaw done and upzone the entire city!

Two more urbanists originally from Vancouver and now living in the Netherlands - Melissa and Chris Bruntlett, who have written a couple of books including Curbing Traffic - are coming to Edmonton next week to continue the conversation about Edmonton's progress and next steps as a cycling city.

It's this kind of city building and progressive policies that can really draw attention to Edmonton as several people have noted in their comments to the Shifter video and now this twitter post. Edmonton looks beautiful and urban in many of these video clips.

More of this kind of city building coupled with our affordability and this city can't be beat. And the fall colours are amazing right now all over.

This video is two days old and the twitter post one day and combined have more than 100,000 views - when does our city get that kind of attention in anything else it does right now?.

Screenshot_20231012-232817_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231012-231535_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Back