News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

City of Red Deer Updates

About the Red Deer proposal.

They are proposing a river crossing to a park from derelict industrial land.
Location of proposed gondola station (street view)
I am completely baffled as to why Red Deer has ignored its river for so long.
In order for this proposal to be a success Red Deer would have to completely redevelop this side of the river. The cost of redeveloping the area will be prohibitively expensive, just to get the gondola working on a daily basis, otherwise it will only be used during festivals.

About the Red Deer proposal.

They are proposing a river crossing to a park from derelict industrial land.
Location of proposed gondola station (street view)
I am completely baffled as to why Red Deer has ignored its river for so long.
In order for this proposal to be a success Red Deer would have to completely redevelop this side of the river. The cost of redeveloping the area will be prohibitively expensive, just to get the gondola working on a daily basis, otherwise it will only be used during festivals.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Capstone pretty much a complete redevelopment of that industrial area?

By the looks of it, the gondola will cross at about a 45 degree angle to the river (east-west), while the Red Deer river heads northeast. It could be difficult to build a pedestrian bridge at that section of the river.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Capstone pretty much a complete redevelopment of that industrial area?
This project literally requires that project to move forward. Given how much land needs to be developed it might be at least 5 years before any construction on the gondola starts, more likely 10.

I think your right @itom987, not sure how much land is currently being developed there, and if successful, wouldn't Capstone needs 5 or 10 years to really start to take off?

The Red Deer gondola proposal still doesn't make sense to me and I think a pedestrian bridge would be preferable. Definately curious to learn more about their proposal.

This talk should continue in the Red Deer Update thread though, when possible.

Info & links for Capstone and the Deer

We might as well keep it in Red Deer, as it's in Red Deer 🚡

All the Gondola goes to is a park and golf course on the other side. The isolated neighbourhood next to the park is too small to generate two way traffic.

"Premier Jason Kenney announced $3.4 million to help build a centre to help young people who have been abused.

The funding will go towards the proposed $22.4 million Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre, which will be located next to Red Deer Polytechnic and will be closely connected with many of its programs from nursing and psychology to education and early learning and child care.

Advocacy Centre CEO Mark Jones said Blackfalds-area company Eagle Builders is expected to begin construction on the 66,000-square-foot building this summer for a fall 2023 completion date. It will be located next to the Canada Games Centre on land leased from RDP for $1 a year.

The facility will also house the Central Alberta Sexual Assault Support Centre, Central Alberta Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Network and Alberta Health Services programs such as mental health and addictions counselling out-patient services.

The link with RDP will give students valuable life experience working with psychiatrists, counsellors, social workers, lawyers, doctors, therapists and others who help young people."

"Prospective Bachelor of Education Degree students may apply now to begin their first year of study in the Bachelor of Education Degree for the Fall 2022 Term. The Bachelor of Business Administration Degree will welcome its first group of learners the following year. In the meantime, the institution’s current business administration programming will remain in place, offering students a pathway into the new degree in Fall 2023.

Further, a Therapeutic Massage Therapy Diploma and Paralegal Certificate will also be offered in the 2022/2023 academic year through the Polytechnic’s Division of Extended Education. The Paralegal Certificate is currently the only one of its kind offered in Alberta.

New micro-credentials in Elder Care Aide, one being Indigenous Care Aid, and Transitional-Vocational Programming will also begin in Fall 2022. These micro-credentials are to assist students in meeting their immediate academic, career and personal goals while providing opportunities to build upon their future educational priorities."

It's great to see RDP expanding its offerings like this; it'll help stem the brain drain from the area, and make post-secondary education more accessible (and hopefully affordable) for local students.

Last edited:
CplKingler, I'm excited about the Advocacy Centre and excited about some of the directions of RDP in general. There seems to be an ongoing strategy of offering services there - Bethany Eldercare and Westpark Middle School to name two - and then offering opportunities for on-campus (or almost on-campus) practicum placements for students. I'm not sure what kind of practicum placements would be available for undergraduate students at a mental health clinic, but it sounds like RDP and the Advocacy Centre are working on this together.

$1.8 billion announced for Red Deer hospital expansion​

Feb 23, 2022 | 10:52 AM

Expansion of the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre will officially get a $1.8 billion investment in Thursday’s provincial budget.

The injection of funds into central Alberta health care capacity was announced by Premier Jason Kenney on Wednesday at Red Deer Polytechnic. Total completion is anticipated by 2030.

This news comes after Kenney announced $100 million for an expansion project in 2020.

Last year, the UCP’s capital budget and plan included $5 million for hospital expansion, plus a commitment for another $19 million in 2022, and $35 million in 2023 – a grand total of $59 million over three years.

See full link to the article here: https://rdnewsnow.com/2022/02/23/1-...he Red Deer,completion is anticipated by 2030.

I'm not sure what kind of practicum placements would be available for undergraduate students at a mental health clinic, but it sounds like RDP and the Advocacy Centre are working on this together.
They do offer a BA and BSc in psychology, I think they're looking at adding nursing soon, and they mentioned some other things like being able to shadow lawyers. And welcome to the forum!

I've lived in Red Deer for 5 years now, and - as a fan of urbanism living in a small prairie city - I definitely have a wish list for Red Deer. The top of my list is a willingness to invest more of the tax revenues generated by downtown into making the downtown a more desirable place to live and to work. We're our own city, but sensibilities here are still largely suburban or even rural.

Back