News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

City of Red Deer Updates

Attached are the Province's projection growths to 2046 -- it projects modest growth for Red Deer bringing that city to somewhere in the 150,000 population realm by that time. Personally, I disagree with a lot of the stated premises.

Attachments

• 2020-2046-alberta-population-projections.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
I'd love for Red Deer to pick up the pace and grow fast enough to become an actual major city, making the Edmonton-Calgary corridor a more viable region for realistically profitable passenger rail.
Edmonton and Calgary should near 2mi in a couple of decades, if Red Deer area got to half million, that would most certainly make a lot of things viable, including this vision of yours.
I think Canada needs more major cities and I can't think of a place better to do that than in Red Deer.

Situated between Calgary and Edmonton, I think it is ideally located especially with high speed rail. For the city to become a major hub, I think there are a few more things besides HSR that I would like to see happen. The airport would need to be upgraded to an international airport, an LRT or BRT connecting the airport up Gaetz Avenue, through downtown and over the river to the north side would be a great corridor to concentrate urban and sustainable development, and I think Red Deer College requires an endowment from government to transform into a university.

And one for Red Deer too...

Red Deer, AB, March 29, 2022— Prairie Sky Gondola announced today it’s intention to build an urban ropeway in Red Deer.

“Some cities don’t know how to react to unique ideas. Red Deer clearly is not one of those cities.” remarked Prairie Sky Gondola President Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Red Deer is arguably one of the best communities in Alberta to invest in today. We are excited to have gotten to this moment, but we are also inspired by the work that’s ahead of us. Talking about ideas is one thing. Doing them is another. And the doing part is our business.”

Prairie Sky Gondola brought forward an unsolicited proposal to The City of Red Deer eight months ago and has been working with The City to assess and plan for the project. A Memorandum of Understanding, or MOU, will be signed this Spring, initiating the process to collaboratively undertake additional technical and commercial due diligence.

This ropeway, with an investment valued at over $25M, will be located in an inventive community development called Capstone. Connecting the river to Red Deer, Capstone’s ambition is to create something different— something vibrant, energetic, and inquisitive for socially engaged and physically active Albertans wanting to live within hours of Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta’s two largest cities.

“The City’s vision, investment, and work on Capstone served as a critical catalyst for Prairie Sky Gondola’s decision to move forward as they reviewed this site,” announced Tara Lodewyk, Interim City Manager. “This, matched with the City’s openness and willingness to welcome experienced, private investment, have culminated to provide this unique proposed opportunity in Red Deer.”

The proposed ropeway is a 350 meter, two station pulse gondola over the Red Deer River connecting Capstone to Bower Ponds recreation area. Flying over the Red Deer River, residents and visitors alike will get stunning views all day long, easily accessing all that downtown Red Deer and Bower Ponds has to offer. The Capstone Station will include dining and other experiential elements. The stations will enhance access to communities while seamlessly integrating within the landscapes of both sides of the river.

“The concept is to make the two stations as opposite as possible. What we have proposed is not necessarily intuitive,” commented Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Capstone Station is sweeping and bold. Bower Ponds Station wants to be invisible. The development concept fires up the City’s vision while complementing the values of the community."

And Mayor Ken Johnston agrees, “This project will highlight the natural beauty in our community while creating an attraction and destination in the heart of Capstone. The gondola will be an added tourism destination, the success of which will extend to local businesses and inspire further development.”

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 8.23.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 8.23.50 AM.png

Stunning rebuke of the city of Edmonton
I don't follow.

It is not like they've changed one for the other. They're moving, and fast, with the Edmonton project, and saw an opportunity in Red Deer.
These people are in the business of making money, and if there is an opportunity anywhere, that they see viable, it doesn't mean it is a rebuke of Edmonton.

How so? Completely separate project as far as I understand.

“Some cities don’t know how to react to unique ideas. Red Deer clearly is not one of those cities.” remarked Prairie Sky Gondola President Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Red Deer is arguably one of the best communities in Alberta to invest in today.

“Some cities don’t know how to react to unique ideas. Red Deer clearly is not one of those cities.” remarked Prairie Sky Gondola President Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Red Deer is arguably one of the best communities in Alberta to invest in today.
I think you are reading a little too much into this.

Red Deer, AB, March 29, 2022— Prairie Sky Gondola announced today it’s intention to build an urban ropeway in Red Deer.

“Some cities don’t know how to react to unique ideas. Red Deer clearly is not one of those cities.” remarked Prairie Sky Gondola President Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Red Deer is arguably one of the best communities in Alberta to invest in today. We are excited to have gotten to this moment, but we are also inspired by the work that’s ahead of us. Talking about ideas is one thing. Doing them is another. And the doing part is our business.”

Prairie Sky Gondola brought forward an unsolicited proposal to The City of Red Deer eight months ago and has been working with The City to assess and plan for the project. A Memorandum of Understanding, or MOU, will be signed this Spring, initiating the process to collaboratively undertake additional technical and commercial due diligence.

This ropeway, with an investment valued at over $25M, will be located in an inventive community development called Capstone. Connecting the river to Red Deer, Capstone’s ambition is to create something different— something vibrant, energetic, and inquisitive for socially engaged and physically active Albertans wanting to live within hours of Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta’s two largest cities.

“The City’s vision, investment, and work on Capstone served as a critical catalyst for Prairie Sky Gondola’s decision to move forward as they reviewed this site,” announced Tara Lodewyk, Interim City Manager. “This, matched with the City’s openness and willingness to welcome experienced, private investment, have culminated to provide this unique proposed opportunity in Red Deer.”

The proposed ropeway is a 350 meter, two station pulse gondola over the Red Deer River connecting Capstone to Bower Ponds recreation area. Flying over the Red Deer River, residents and visitors alike will get stunning views all day long, easily accessing all that downtown Red Deer and Bower Ponds has to offer. The Capstone Station will include dining and other experiential elements. The stations will enhance access to communities while seamlessly integrating within the landscapes of both sides of the river.

“The concept is to make the two stations as opposite as possible. What we have proposed is not necessarily intuitive,” commented Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson. “Capstone Station is sweeping and bold. Bower Ponds Station wants to be invisible. The development concept fires up the City’s vision while complementing the values of the community."

And Mayor Ken Johnston agrees, “This project will highlight the natural beauty in our community while creating an attraction and destination in the heart of Capstone. The gondola will be an added tourism destination, the success of which will extend to local businesses and inspire further development.”

View attachment 388638View attachment 388639
WOW!! What a cool proposal for Red Deer! This and Capstone Way will really transform that small city in a good way.
Stunning rebuke of the city of Edmonton
#EdmontonInferiorityComplex at work here.

Last edited:

Back