News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

City of Red Deer Updates

Capstone at Riverlands

Riverlands-Area-Redevelopment-plan-76.png
Riverlands-Area-Redevelopment-plan-79.png
site-plan (1).jpg

https://www.liveincapstone.ca/

Thanks for posting this. I think this development will definitely thrust Red Deer in the direction of Edmonton and Calgary. It is also going to strengthen our province and prove that there can be growth outside of Edmonton and Calgary.

Gaetz Avenue interchange open in Red Deer
As the 2018 construction season comes to a close, the Highway 2/Gaetz Avenue interchange in Red Deer is fully open to traffic.

The Gaetz Avenue interchange is now open to traffic.
The new interchange will improve traffic flow and safety for highway travellers, local residents and commuters and businesses in the Red Deer area.

Construction of the $80 million Highway 2/Gaetz Avenue interchange began in 2016. The project includes five new bridges, new on and off ramps for northbound and southbound traffic, the widening and realignment of Highway 2 and the integration of the Taylor Drive and Gaetz Avenue interchanges. Minor finishing work, such as final paving, signage, guardrail installation and landscaping, will be completed in 2019.

The project was one of more than 195 projects included in the 2018 Construction Program. Of those projects, 139 will be completed by the end of the fiscal year and 56, which are multi-year projects, will continue in the 2019 construction season.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=62051C1A61B98-F9C4-4C27-1DF44A722E73BDA3

Red Deer county is making a new rest stop 10 mins away from Gasoline Ally for large semi trucks and travel trailers and recreational vehicles. The new rest stop will be called Junction 42 and will be themed as a 50's style rest stop.
-Larger parking lots for semi truck and travel trailer parking
- Restaurants like Burger King, Tim Horton's and gas stations
- A 50's style diner with girls roller skating up to your car to deliver your food.
- Drive-in-theater on weekends
- Multiple auto related shops (Car-wash, lube shops, mechanics)
-EC charging stations

They will officially open in the fall of 2019

@KyleBlanchett Another "Gasoline Alley" just 7k south of Gasoline Alley? That seems excessive and unnecessary... I mean I guess it's tied to additional industrial development, but I don't see why the two need to be intertwined like that.

@WislaHD I've never been to Lethbridge before, but I have looked at it on google maps and it is nearly as big as Red Deer. How is Lethbridge proving it? (I genuinely don't know)

@Platinum107 , I've been to both cities over the years for conferences\visiting\etc, but don't know their respective economic- drivers in depth. Though Red Deer seems like it has more growth over last decade, I'd guess, largely due to proximity to Highway 2 corridor. Some interesting proposals like Capstone at Riverlands, regional Airport expansion, and this crazy article I came across today that made me laugh, Red Deers future hiper loop station, Ha Ha

@WislaHD I've never been to Lethbridge before, but I have looked at it on google maps and it is nearly as big as Red Deer. How is Lethbridge proving it? (I genuinely don't know)
I've never even been to Alberta so I am by no means an authority. I just know from StatsCan data that Lethbridge is always mentioned as one of the most rapidly growing cities in Canada.

Red Deer is more strategically positioned between Calgary and Edmonton. Perhaps Alberta will one day have 4 nationally significant urban centres.

Back