News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Chinatown

I don't find the argument that we should continue to burden an already disadvantaged area with this service because it's only an expansion rather than brand new service provider to be a convincing one.

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think the users of these services would follow them to Belgravia or Bonnie Doon if you were to move them there.

Last edited:
I don't find the argument that we should continue to burden an already disadvantaged area with this service because it's only an expansion rather than brand new service provider to be a convincing one.

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think the users of these services would follow them to Belgravia or Bonnie Doon if you were to move them there.
Or Terwilliger or Windermere ;)

^
while there is probably demonstrable demand in those neighborhoods, for the most part these are not mobile client groups.

the service providers are where their clients already are, not the other way around.

83BA542F-A9CC-4C80-83C9-42904EE975F8.jpeg
F0CA1AB2-6BD2-4A66-9462-21DE96E51BD7.jpeg
C2829880-171D-4F0A-B6CA-9790DD648547.jpeg
54B57643-85C4-4762-815D-69D69F1097BC.jpeg
C0C0E8CC-C413-482A-BB98-CEC5E3D0F5DC.jpeg
A62FC0D5-0DEF-49FA-97EF-E2E0314D0DCA.jpeg

Last edited:
^This. The encampments understandably gather around these service providers where they get built. The lots adjacent to the Bissell Centre became tent towns because the Bissell Centre is there not the other way around.

I'm not sure if those pictures are reinforcing your point here. Tents are very mobile haha.
they’re not in their tents 24/7 just as they’re not in bscc or a shelter 24/7. they are there because everything is close including pedestrians and traffic to panhandle, cheap food and liquor, transit and pedestrian connections (trails and sidewalks), petty crime opportunities, lanes, detached garages, bottle depots, recycling yards, day/casual labour opportunities (many of them prefer any employment they can get), places to warm (library to lrt stations), access to drugs, emergency services (fire and ambulance), hospitals and public health providers…

i don’t believe any of them wanted to live that life style growing up or had parents hoping that’s where their children would end up. they are all still people with many of the same human needs we all have and one of those is having friends and acquaintances sharing a lifestyle whether or not it’s one of choice or an unhealthy one.

this is not to excuse or condone what is in these pictures because what’s in these pictures is criminal. the biggest crime however is a society that both creates and allows (some would say nurtures) what is in these pictures.

these people didn’t materialize out of thin air - we have built a society that includes a veritable pipeline of broken people that end up here. it is incumbent upon us to recognize that the root of the problem isn’t a lack of shelter beds and services, it’s creating the need for shelter beds and services. until we do that however, there will still be a need for the shelter beds and services such as those bscc provides.

Last edited:
Not so much Chinatown but 'Chinatown-adjacent' in Little Italy, but a couple new independent stores have opened there on 95 Street: Paper Birch Books and Violets. Great to see local entrepreneurs opening in the neighbourhood!
Should we start a little Italy thread? One of my favorite spots in town with a unique identity

Not so much Chinatown but 'Chinatown-adjacent' in Little Italy, but a couple new independent stores have opened there on 95 Street: Paper Birch Books and Violets. Great to see local entrepreneurs opening in the neighbourhood!
Checked out Paper Birch Books on the way home last night. Really nice, reminds me of a smaller version of The Edmonton Book Store on Whyte.

Does anyone know why they aren’t reusing the old gate? Article doesn’t specify why or what the plan is for the old gate—which is in the ETS storage yard on 80th st and 116 ave, where the old Cromdale bus garage was.

Per TransEd, only one tile was damaged in it’s removal and transport (and supposedly they had a replacement tile) but I’ve also heard some differing unofficial accounts on it’s condition from removal.

Back