News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Chinatown

Van Loc Vietnamese subs has a new owner. The previous owner retired and the place was purchased by a young man barely out of University to keep the place going and to try to revitalize Chinatown. Good luck to him. 👍
Honestly the best case scenario for any business succession plan, let alone a business in Chinatown. Awesome!

CofE release

Chinatown Recovery:
  • Introduced a $1-million Chinatown Recovery Fund which has been directed via the Chinatown Recovery Committee to support safety and security, cultural events, and small business support.
  • Provided $600,000 in funding for enhanced security to the Chinatown and Area Business Association and its members.
  • Increased services to include daily street cleaning, including encampment and needle pick-up.
  • Initiated the Window Repair Program to enhance safety and help businesses recover from damage due to vandalism and graffiti.
  • Allocated $4.9 million over 2023 and 2024 to activate the Healthy Streets Operations Centre with multi-disciplinary community safety teams. An additional $10.3 million in funding was provided through the Edmonton Police Service.

I've grabbed a banh mi from Van Loc half a dozen times already and I only just noticed last week that Italian Bakery rebuilt their store. It's huge. A nod that there's still faith in Chinatown.
Oh yeah, the new Italian Bakery is awesome, a large grocery selection and an even larger deli counter and new coffee counter. It's definitely a huge addition to Chinatown and a vote of confidence in the area.

That's fucked.

It's almost as if you put most service providers, injection sites and basically turn your back on a neighbourhood and expect something different to happen.

I feel horrible for those business owners, property owners and community.

Back