News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

I have heard McCauley and Chinatown community and business associations are very opposed because....classism.
Or perhaps being the dumping ground for individuals with anti-social behaviors for the past 4-5 decades has soured them on anything that is often used as a de facto shelter?
Or...a useful LRT station for people that live in McCauley and Boyle Street! It wouldn't be used as a 'drop-in centre' if the proper amount of drop-in day services are available to folks.
In theory. What about those who are banned from drop-in centers and shelters due to common factors like violence/substance use/theft/mental illness?

I do think it’s a decent idea. There is a ton of multifamily units SE of 95th & LRT tracks area that could be well served by a station there. It’d be a great idea if the province would finally spend (and not spend then later cut) on expanded programs for mental health, substance use, shelters and housing here in Edmonton to ease the burden on areas like this.

I took the LRT the other day.
- they finally seemed to have the "chime" working at the beginning of P.A. announcements
- 2 groups of people using drugs at central Station stairs were both gone a short while later suggesting security might be doing something?
- we need fare gates. I actually forgot to tap off because the card readers are not placed in the line of travel. At this point the Arc Card reader placement in our subway style stations is not working.
- very few people seemed to be using the Arc Card, which is inexplicable to me, as it is a far better option. Again takes me back to thinking we need Card reader fare gates.
- the system map needs an overhaul. It's not based on the real geography of the city, too small to read, inconvenient. We need large maps up on the concourse level.. think london underground style
- a few stations have had lighting upgrades which makes a huge improvement in look and feel
- announcements need a complete rethink. They need to announce the line that's arriving or that you are presently riding , not just the train destination
- I like how the airport icon is shown on the maps for century park Station.

One other thing- the announcer speaks far too quickly and without clear diction. Combined with the background train noise it is difficult to clearly hear what's being said. For anyone with English as a second language it could be quite difficult. They need to re-record the announcements and tell their voice actor to speak slowly and carefully pronounce each word.

I'm just wondering when ETS will finally arrive into the 21st Century and rename the LRT station names?

It no longer makes any sense to have a Coliseum LRT station when the Coliseum itself has been closed for years and is about to be demolished. Rename it to Northlands LRT station, and let's have an ICE District LRT station instead of the MacEwan LRT station (a second MacEwan LRT station is slated for the Valley Line LRT).

The Bay LRT station should have been renamed many years ago when the flagship Bay store moved to ECC (this was before they recently pulled out of downtown entirely).

One other thing- the announcer speaks far too quickly and without clear diction. Combined with the background train noise it is difficult to clearly hear what's being said. For anyone with English as a second language it could be quite difficult. They need to re-record the announcements and tell their voice actor to speak slowly and carefully pronounce each word.
Is this something you could also copy/paste onto 311 or send to city? Would be good feedback.

Who would even make the official decision to rename the stations? Is it something that would have to go through Council, or can ETS decide internally?
I would assume it goes through the Edmonton Naming Committee but honestly not sure.

I could be wrong, but I believe they revamped the PA announcements a while ago by using text-to-speech software instead of actual human voice actors. You can notice the difference when they approach stations that involve line changes, like Churchill, because it's a more natural sounding voice that also goes into detail about what to do if you want to board the other line.

Yesterday there was a service disruption between Churchill and NAIT. The announcement said “between Churchill and N. A I. T

I could be wrong, but I believe they revamped the PA announcements a while ago by using text-to-speech software instead of actual human voice actors. You can notice the difference when they approach stations that involve line changes, like Churchill, because it's a more natural sounding voice that also goes into detail about what to do if you want to board the other line.
In that case, I think they should use a different computer voice.

Back