News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Did a bit of digging this evening. The work happening at 23 Ave and 111 St is prep work and not the actual construction yet. I'm not sure if Ellis Don is doing all of the prep work for the SLRT extension to Heritage Valley, but they are certainly doing the prep for the tunneling.
Specifically:
"EllisDon, the City’s contractor, will be excavating the area to install shafts for future tunnelling work. This work will result in a lane closure and pedestrian detours at the northeast corner of the intersection. This is part of tunnelling work at the intersection, which is expected to take approximately 18 months. "
So, we will actually see quite a bit of work at 23 Ave, but, it's just shafts for the eventual contractor to go in and start working from. Since this alone is taking 18 months, I'm guessing this will save a fair amount of time during the main contruction.

The two shortlisted consortiums bidding on the SLRT Design/ Build contract are:

Capital Line Design Builders (CLDB)- Aecon, Ledcor, AECOM
PCL-Graham South Line Solutions (PGSLS)- PCL-Graham JV

Did a bit of digging this evening. The work happening at 23 Ave and 111 St is prep work and not the actual construction yet. I'm not sure if Ellis Don is doing all of the prep work for the SLRT extension to Heritage Valley, but they are certainly doing the prep for the tunneling.
Specifically:
"EllisDon, the City’s contractor, will be excavating the area to install shafts for future tunnelling work. This work will result in a lane closure and pedestrian detours at the northeast corner of the intersection. This is part of tunnelling work at the intersection, which is expected to take approximately 18 months. "
So, we will actually see quite a bit of work at 23 Ave, but, it's just shafts for the eventual contractor to go in and start working from. Since this alone is taking 18 months, I'm guessing this will save a fair amount of time during the main contruction.

The two shortlisted consortiums bidding on the SLRT Design/ Build contract are:

Capital Line Design Builders (CLDB)- Aecon, Ledcor, AECOM
PCL-Graham South Line Solutions (PGSLS)- PCL-Graham JV
See! For one: I had no idea there were 2 consortium bids already in place? When did these even come out? 2nd: hard to believe that there are actually 2 different companies - Aecon vs. Aecom. One is from Ontario and the other is a bastard child of what was once Lockerbie and Hole?

Where is all that info? Couldn't find it on the Capital Line website

Thanks! Still don't see where the shortlisted proponents are for Design/Build prime contractor though... that sounds like some interestingly proprietary information.

Not at all proprietary information. My source was different that what I'm going to link so, but, I believe my source is still public more or less.
None the less, I Googled one of the names and that lead to this page:

Not at all proprietary information. My source was different that what I'm going to link so, but, I believe my source is still public more or less.
None the less, I Googled one of the names and that lead to this page:

Awesome thanks! Your googling skills are better than mine as neither JV name brought up anything for me.

There's a survey regarding the Twin Brooks station open online now, and several signs up around the neighborhood encouraging people to fill it out.

I heard that the community engagement session last year had very strong NIMBY-undertones... I really hope that this isn't headed where I think it could be... groan.

Twin Brooks as a neighbourhood is built like a suburban fortress. Seriously, for anyone who has never actually been in Twin Brooks, go drive through it sometime—6500 people live there in almost exclusively single fam detached homes—and there are only two roads in and out of the neighbourhood, both off 111st. It’s about as close you can get to a gated community without being a gated community, especially since it has zero commercial business inside.

So it surprises me very little those within have little interest in LRT, and especially when it’s easy to look at the social disorder just up the road that the Century Park station unfortunately brings with it.

Edit: just a clarification, this is not me saying anything about my own opinion of Twin Brooks having an LRT station; I think it absolutely should, but to explain the POV of residents and that they’re likely to put up a big fight.

Twin Brooks as a neighbourhood is built like a suburban fortress. Seriously, for anyone who has never actually been in Twin Brooks, go drive through it sometime—6500 people live there in almost exclusively single fam detached homes—and there are only two roads in and out of the neighbourhood, both off 111st. It’s about as close you can get to a gated community without being a gated community, especially since it has zero commercial business inside.

So it surprises me very little those within have little interest in LRT, and especially when it’s easy to look at the social disorder just up the road that the Century Park station unfortunately brings with it.

Edit: just a clarification, this is not me saying anything about my own opinion of Twin Brooks having an LRT station; I think it absolutely should, but to explain the POV of residents and that they’re likely to put up a big fight.
Oh for sure, and I am totally unsurprised at the opposition. I just hope the city doesn't give in and cancel it; being a resident of the general area, it would be great to have another option rather than having to go to Century Park, and with the ROW going past it, it's the perfect opportunity to construct it now. Almost kind of how now some people wish there was another station in between Southgate and Century Park.

Dear Ward Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi residents, I hope you have had a restful holiday season and some quality time to spend with family, friends, and neighbours.

Following a number of my community engagement events including two public town halls in May and September of 2022, where the LRT extension project was discussed, I have been working with the city’s executive leadership and LRT project team to address a variety of concerns I heard from our ward residents.

As promised, I am providing a number of updates related to the Capital Line LRT South Extension project after having spent some time working through the issues. Some of these updates have been provided in person to select property owners along the LRT corridor in October 2022, also at the October 2022 Twin Brooks Community League AGM, and at a few other in-person community meetings in November. These updates have the latest information and cover the following topics:

1. Fence materials adjacent to the LRT corridor
2. Updated noise study
3. Emergency access for Twin Brooks
4. Twin Brooks station (and follow-up survey)
5. LRT petition (community entrance features, fence materials, and multi-use trail)
6. Street Parking within Twin Brooks
7. Traffic flow in and out of Twin Brooks
8. Access to Anthony Henday Drive
9. Indigenous engagement
10. Bus service adjustment
11. Transit safety

Please see the attachment for full details.

As a follow-up to recent community engagements, an additional Capital Line South (Twin Brooks Station) LRT Survey is open until January 22, 2023. Visit http://bit.ly/3FpGLK5 to complete the survey. Alternatively, can access the survey from the LRT project website at edmonton.ca/CapitalSW.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

----

Early construction for Phase 1 began in 2022 and will continue into 2023 to start preparing the corridor, with major construction anticipated to begin in 2024 and to be completed by 2028 (subject to change).

• Future phases of the project, which are not yet funded, aim to extend Capital Line South LRT Line to the future Edmonton New Hospital in Heritage Valley (scheduled to open in approximately 2030), provide LRT access to additional neighbourhoods in Ward Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi, and for the line to continue south to the Edmonton International Airport (EIA).

"Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi" did someone mash their keyboard and blindly named this for the ward?

Back