News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Just wondering if Twin Brooks residents truly don’t want a station (which I think is crazy) then why force it?

The additional time the stop adds to trips for others could be saved.

The cost of a station is not insignificant.

There isn’t much for amenities nearby that others would be traveling to that specific station from elsewhere on the line.

With the layout of the neighbourhood there isn’t likely to be much possibility for any sizeable amount of infill.

I’m not saying listen to a couple of the loud minority fighting against it (if that’s the case) but dig into it and see.

Ipiihkoohkanipiaohts
Epeekokanee-piutsiya

Your version is more readable. The naming committee bungled this one up.

I think this goes to the similar argument of a station at 34 ave. There is little to no pedestrian access to the communities surrounding that area. This whose section of the Southside was designed with only cars in mind. Now if they designed bus routes to feed the stations Twin Brooks and a 34 ave station could be good.

The Twin Brooks Stations could be a transfer point for MacEwan and points south. Twin Brooks and 40 Avenue could be designed like McKernan or 73 Avenue (Valley Line) stations.

Last edited:
The Twin Brooks Stations could be a transfer point for MacEwan and points south. Twin Brooks and 40 Avenue could be designed like McKernan or 73 Avenue (Valley Line) stations.
Yeah, I think it's a unique opportunity, considering the area. Lots of potential if it's done right.

Having a station is a pretty good tradeoff to having the tracks block both entrances to the neighbourhood, in my mind

Sure, security concerns are there but they can be mitigated through enforcement and things like CCTV and turnstiles (whether they are in practice is another story...).

Long term having a few stations would be fantastic for Boyle/McCauley; It's a neighborhood with a lot of potential for revitalization. It's close to the core, nice historical buildings, good transit access ect.

I wouldn't put away the possibility of building a Capital Line station with a 40 year service life because it'll spend a few years of that being in a rough neighborhood. Same deal with the Quarters stop for the Valley Line.

Sure, security concerns are there but they can be mitigated through enforcement and things like CCTV and turnstiles (whether they are in practice is another story...).

Long term having a few stations would be fantastic for Boyle/McCauley; It's a neighborhood with a lot of potential for revitalization. It's close to the core, nice historical buildings, good transit access ect.

I wouldn't put away the possibility of building a Capital Line station with a 40 year service life because it'll spend a few years of that being in a rough neighborhood. Same deal with the Quarters stop for the Valley Line.

We've already got enough areas ripe for redevelopment that the city has dumped a bunch of capital into with middling success. I don't think we should focus on redeveloping McCauley while the Quarters next door is still mostly vacant lots. We'll just be spreading out limited private sector investments in housing.

New Capital Line frequencies:

* Every six minutes during peak hours (6-9am and 2-6pm) on weekdays
* Every 10 minutes between 5-6am and 9am - 2pm on weekdays
* Every 15 minutes after 6pm on the weekday
* Every 15 minutes all day on weekends

Does anyone have the old frequencies? ETS always makes it so difficult to figure out what's actually changed with their service adjustments.

I believe it was 6 minutes during peak hours and then 12 minutes for the rest of the day, including Saturdays. So it seems they've increased frequency from 9am-2pm (12 mins -> 10 mins) but decreased frequency the rest of the time (12 mins -> 15 mins).

But I could be misremembering.

New Capital Line frequencies:

* Every six minutes during peak hours (6-9am and 2-6pm) on weekdays
* Every 10 minutes between 5-6am and 9am - 2pm on weekdays
* Every 15 minutes after 6pm on the weekday
* Every 15 minutes all day on weekends

Does anyone have the old frequencies? ETS always makes it so difficult to figure out what's actually changed with their service adjustments.

I believe it was 6 minutes during peak hours and then 12 minutes for the rest of the day, including Saturdays. So it seems they've increased frequency from 9am-2pm (12 mins -> 10 mins) but decreased frequency the rest of the time (12 mins -> 15 mins).

But I could be misremembering.
I think you're right (of course, at one point they were at 5 minute frequency, but that was a while back). Looks like they've increased Capital Line frequency, but reduced Metro Line frequency, which was also at 12 minutes in the most recent schedules.

Overall, seems better service for stations beyond South Campus, but the same number of trains overall.

There's also a frequency decrease on both routes on Saturdays from 5 trains an hour to 4.

I'd love to see the money saved from cancelling the Twin Brooks Station to be reallocated to a new station in McCauley/Boyle Street on the east side of 95 Street after the tunnel portal.
I second this! To anyone's knowledge, has this ever been looked at for feasibility? I'm not a planner, but I'm consistently surprised that this seemingly low hanging fruit hasn't gone forward.

I'd love to see the money saved from cancelling the Twin Brooks Station to be reallocated to a new station in McCauley/Boyle Street on the east side of 95 Street after the tunnel portal.

The trains have a tendency to slow down to a snail-like pace when crossing 95 St anyway so they might as well build a new LRT station there.

Back