News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Capital Line LRT

IMG_7983.jpeg

Yup. I'd specifically walk over to Health Sciences to avoid these crowds. There's a pretty big change in ridership for both Capital and Valley Lines ever since school started. Great for transit ridership, bad if you want a seat lol

University Station would probably be a good candidate for platform screen doors.

Regarding peak capacity, I can confirm that the new trains will have higher capacity than the current SD160s, this is due to the seating arrangement. The potential for longer cars is being explored by operations, this would make a full length train 4 cars instead of the current 5. The total train length would be maintained. I'd guess an improvement of 30-50 people per full length train.

Walk through cars are not happening due to insufficient yard space, and the need for train length flexibility. This was my preferred option, but it's dead unless ETS somehow gets an immediate funding boost.

University Station would probably be a good candidate for platform screen doors.

Regarding peak capacity, I can confirm that the new trains will have higher capacity than the current SD160s, this is due to the seating arrangement. The potential for longer cars is being explored by operations, this would make a full length train 4 cars instead of the current 5. The total train length would be maintained. I'd guess an improvement of 30-50 people per full length train.

Walk through cars are not happening due to insufficient yard space, and the need for train length flexibility. This was my preferred option, but it's dead unless ETS somehow gets an immediate funding boost.
Do you know what seating layout was chosen?

Yeah just a post-class surge, but nice to see nonetheless. I will say I’d like to see 6 minute service throughout the day (6am - 7/8 pm) since surges like this (often slightly smaller but still significant) happen any time after 11.
Photos like this (despite the stupidity of some of the Yegwave comments) need to be shown around because this is the reality of LRT ridership and would probably help some people realize that the trains aren't empty.

Do you know what seating layout was chosen?
No. I can only confirm 100% no pass through trains, and that they're heavily considering longer cars depending on what comes back from the RFP.

My guess is that they're going with option #3.
381db3ee75cb10f7191bf607bd879f05_Option_3_LRT.png

I would assume the plan will be to go with Siemens S200 trains, like what they have in St. Louis and Calgary.
img_4033.jpeg

Lots of manufacturers, I'd hope for Siemens too, but money is the key.

A walk thru car is a nice to have, but not a need to have. The flexibility argument can be ruled moot by just having 2, 3 and 4 car sets coupled. I don't recall the last time I saw a car added or removed from the current trains.

The good thing about option B is more standing room, A would be the same, but there could be a type D, single seats on one side, doubles on the other and it leaves a wider aisle for standees

Is it actually busy, or is there a service outage?

This is super anecdotal, but I take the train almost everyday (Century to Churchill) and ridership has been pretty steady this year so far. Don't know if the numbers confirm that, but that's what it "looks" like lol

Photos like this (despite the stupidity of some of the Yegwave comments) need to be shown around because this is the reality of LRT ridership and would probably help some people realize that the trains aren't empty.

Trains are definitely not running empty at all. Peak time frequency is running at like 3 min, but it seems like ETS is running 4 car trains to accommodate this, thus the larger number of people waiting on platforms?
Also interesting to note, Churchill Station seems way busier than normal with all the NAIT connections coming from the Valley Line both in the AM and PM. Seems like a lot more people transfer at Churchill than at Health Sciences, but transferring at HS is harder at peak times since the trains are filled with Uni students by the time it comes to Health Sciences.

Back