News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Car accidents seem exceedingly rare on Capital Line. Although I clearly remember my dad almost crashing us into one in the winter of 1989. The brakes worked, the tires didn't.

In terms of traffic disruption, the trains run through less often than the light turns red at 112 Ave and 82 St. The only existing at-grade crossing I would support spending limited resources on grade separating is University Ave.

LRT grade separation on the existing line should be taken from the road budget :)
Wait, Edmonton has a road budget? Could have fooled me...

In all honesty I find the road network to be just as poorly planned as the transit network.

The only transport mode that seems to making decent strides is active use / cycling, and even those can be quite disjointed.

Room for improvement everywhere I guess!

The only existing at-grade crossing I would support spending limited resources on grade separating is University Ave.
I agree that's the worst one by far, but beyond closing the south line for years to do a complete rebuild I don't see how it could be corrected now.

What's done is done unfortunately.. That's why it's so important to think ahead and get these things built with future growth in mind.

The LRT worked fine for decades with the crossing gates. At some point, you just have to trust people with some basic common sense like not driving around a gate. And for those too stupid to follow a rule like that, maybe it’s just cheaper to let them feel the brunt of the consequences.
with any luck it's Darwinism...

There were two pedestrian fatalities near 112 ave in the late 2010s. After that the city added crossing arms for pedestrians, first I have heard of a car accident. Although, I have seen more cars trying to push though when traffic is backed up at 82nd st. recently. Possibly the car moved onto the track before the trains came and then when there wasn't space to move forward they got stuck. Really dumb driving mistake.
I had that happen last week, some pos beeping horn and crawling towards my bumper, man, ever since the driver testing got privitized, it's getting worse, testing centre tribe takes care of it's own...

Remember watch Canadas worst driver and commenting on the number of candidates from Alberta.Had GoA testing I had t do to get all of my licenses. There were lots of private driving schools but you all had to meet the minimum standards set by one testing group. Parallel parking was a make or break item.

Back