News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

I must say the good old Capital Line has been serving Edmonton well for many decades. My only complaint is how slowly it was expanded.

Its too bad those designing our current capital projects can't get their act together or perhaps in the case of the Green Line, keep costs under better control.

They risk becoming their own worst enemies and seriously undermining support for what they profess to want. I am not as worried about Mike Nickel.

Well admittedly the Capital line has less places to go for expansion, and where it has had to go is relatively low priority. Northwards there is one or two stops before we're at the edge of the city again. South is definitely a growing priority but the other current expansions are doing what should have been done a long time ago, bringing LRT connection to a larger part of the city.

Well admittedly the Capital line has less places to go for expansion, and where it has had to go is relatively low priority. Northwards there is one or two stops before we're at the edge of the city again. South is definitely a growing priority but the other current expansions are doing what should have been done a long time ago, bringing LRT connection to a larger part of the city.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see the LRT expanded under Jasper Ave west of 109 St, with the Capital Line being a Gorman - 124st (maybe connecting to the VLW on Stony Plain and 124st) and the Metro Line being St-Albert - YEG, and they only share the tracks between Churchill and Corona Stations.

Will that ever happen? NO, but a dreamer can dream, right?

A low frequency mostly single track extension to Fort Sask that runs every 30 minutes wouldn't be out of the question in some cities, even in North America!

A low frequency mostly single track extension to Fort Sask that runs every 30 minutes wouldn't be out of the question in some cities, even in North America!
With a possible extension to St. Albert via the metro line, and (hopefully) a future airport connection I like the idea of the LRT becoming more of a regional railway, especially if the combined transit authority becomes permanent.

With a possible extension to St. Albert via the metro line, and (hopefully) a future airport connection I like the idea of the LRT becoming more of a regional railway, especially if the combined transit authority becomes permanent.
I hope that as soon as construction starts on the north side of Yellowhead I hope plans resume for the St.Albert extension. I think there were 3 or 4 stations planned in St.Albert.

I hope that as soon as construction starts on the north side of Yellowhead I hope plans resume for the St.Albert extension. I think there were 3 or 4 stations planned in St.Albert.
It was 5 stations and the City of St. Albert has already determined (and is actively protecting) the right-of-way.

Other than the portion from Churchill and McKernan-Belgravia, the LRT already reminds me more of Vancouver's West Coast Express commuter rail than a metro system like Skytrain. Not a bad thing in particular. LRT, like West Coast Express, has far spaced stations (4 stations over 6km for LRT, 6 stations over 20km for WCE) and so the average speed is better than some stretches of Skytrain say from Nanaimo to Royal Oak which has 6 stations in a 5.8km span. The saving grace for Skytrain is the full grade separation allowing for better top speed (80 km/h in normal conditions, up to 90 km/h in catchup mode) plus it has better acceleration thanks to LIM.

LRT average speed Clareview to Stadium - 36 km/h
West Coast Express average speed Port Haney to Moody Centre - 39 km/h
Skytrain average speed Royal Oak to Nanaimo - 33 km/h

That said, I'm all in support for a couple more stations on the NE leg serving TODs.

I love that while there's all this coverage over the Valley Line, Metro Line construction is quietly making excellent progress.

I love that while there's all this coverage over the Valley Line, Metro Line construction is quietly making excellent progress.
I completely forgot they were even construction the Blatchford station and was driving behind the EPCOR yard off 107th and was wondering what the hell PCL was building there until I saw the sign.

Are they not announcing a GC for the expansion this month?
Yikes! I just read that the Contractor will awarded “late 2023.” I could have sworn they were picking “late 2022.” It’s already delayed by a year now. But yet this extension will still be finished years before YYC even digs their first hole for their Green line

Hey, semi-random but i think this is the best thread to ask: does anyone know how the city assigns the MSO to areas surrounding LRT stations? I'm looking for the MSO around the Twin Brooks LRT station, which from every source I can find, is part of the current Capital Line South extension. The CoE zoning map shows the overlay everywhere, all the way to Desrochers, but not Twin Brooks. below is the where the overlay is supposed to apply to, from Bylaw 12800.

819.2 Application​

1. This Overlay applies to sites zoned CNC, CSC, CB1, CB2, CHY, CO and CB3 that are located within:
  1. the areas shown on the Appendix to this Overlay; and/or
  2. 200 m of an existing LRT station, transit centre or future LRT station or transit centre with a Council-approved Concept Plan.

guesses as to why Twin Brooks isn't included? was some kind of exception made? this could affect development around what could be an odd station.

Yikes! I just read that the Contractor will awarded “late 2023.” I could have sworn they were picking “late 2022.” It’s already delayed by a year now. But yet this extension will still be finished years before YYC even digs their first hole for their Green line
Kind of an aside, but looking at the alignment for the green line, I'm thankful Edmonton built the underground sections for the capital line when they did. I haven't been to Calgary in a while and last time I was there I kind of forgot they were running high floor trains at grade right in the middle of downtown.

RM Transit had a good bit in one of his videos (seems delisted now?) where he talks about how Edmonton managed to get the hard work downtown done early and it's worth it to get that tunnel built for future expansion even at the expense of a more expanded network.

Back