News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Canada Soccer

Your optimism overwhelms me. The majority of the 3-5 teams playing in Edmonton will arrive in the USA and get flights from the USA nonstop to YEG and YEG may very well have flights from EWR, ORD and elsewhere. As to Jasper - the tourism effort must start and be pushed in Edmonton promoting Jasper.
Very much agree. The effort would and should start well (years) before in the build up to hosting the games to capture more people to the region and Jasper. Otherwise, what's the point if we just shrug our shoulders and say "well people will go to Banff anyway".

Lol according to that report Vancouver should not only be reconsidered, but in place of Edmonton.

Maybe someone on here knows but what is the process for cities to be selected? It sounds like there was a formal process that involved a lot of check list items for cities interested in bidding, of which Toronto and Edmonton we apart of that process. Vancouver dropped out of that process leaving Edmonton and Toronto. How does Vancouver just get back in? Is the process that flexibly selective and loose? If so, that seems like some very FIFA type stuff just to let a potential favorite back into a formal process when others followed the "rules" of the city qualification process.

Agreed - BC officials really targeted Edmonton in their comments as a weak link.

There was a formal process, but when Montreal dropped out Vancouver made a big push to be considered and according to them Soccer Canada and FIFA have been open to that even though an official site visit where bid cities needed to present and provide tours of their facilities and other amenities was never done. Now did BC do something virtually or what I don't know.

^Could have been worse (we almost got selected to play Spain and Germany!). Exciting times for Team Canada.
I'd take Spain and Germany over this group, to be honest.
Depending on how the things play between Croatia and Belgium, Canada has a solid choice. Hold a tie with the two boogies and a win over Morocco, we could very well pass forward in second.

FIFA announced that Vancouver is now in as candidate city to host World Cup, joining Edmonton and Toronto.

Apparently FIFA already did an inspection there recently as well. And article says Vancouver expects to hear in June if it is a host city - date keeps getting moved back.

Last edited:
The fact they allowed them back in to me means the due diligence has been done and it would be absolutely shocking if they weren't included as a host city. Not great for the Edmonton bid and the hope of having 5 games.

Good ‘ol Horgan didn’t want the World Cup anywhere near his fair city 2 years ago….now it’s ok? What an a@@hole!

Gotta justify the $500m reno to BC Place somehow. Seems like a bit a hail mary bid to me, but who knows.

I have been told our City's bid is the 'most ready a city has ever been in the history of FIFA bids'. We have a very good chance of being selected, but as pointed out maybe less than the 5 game we hoped for.

Gotta justify the $500m reno to BC Place somehow. Seems like a bit a hail mary bid to me, but who knows.

I have been told our City's bid is the 'most ready a city has ever been in the history of FIFA bids'. We have a very good chance of being selected, but as pointed out maybe less than the 5 game we hoped for.

Well with three Canadian cities, which is how this thing all started (Montreal out, Vancouver in), and 10 games to share, one city was likely going to get 4 games and the other two 3 games.

Hopefully the 4 is us and the province has got some flexibility.

Ultimately there are 16 hosts (10 in US and 3 in Mexico) and 80 games. That's 5 games per host - that's how FIFA should do this given the financial commitment cities are making to host. That probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

When FIFA announces host cities next month, they likely aren't saying how many games per host - that may come next year. So we may be a bit in limbo for a while even after being announced a host city.

Alphonso Davies advocating for Edmonton to be 2026 host - article released today in Inside World Football.

IWF: On the other hand, what do you think that Edmonton and Alberta would bring to the FIFA World Cup?

AD: It would bring everything that city brought to me and my family when we moved here. Which is a lot of love and hospitality. Edmonton is a beautiful, diverse place, and I have no doubt they will accept the rest of the world, exactly how they accepted me and my family when we moved here. Edmonton has some great facilities and there are a lot of things happening in the city, especially in the summer seasons. We have some of the best restaurants and dining in western Canada. Plus every year, Edmonton hosts some great festivals, including Heritage Days which host 60 countries who showcase their countries’ favorite foods, music, and entertainment. It’s one of the largest cultural events in the country.

Alphonso Davies advocating for Edmonton to be 2026 host - article released today in Inside World Football.

IWF: On the other hand, what do you think that Edmonton and Alberta would bring to the FIFA World Cup?

AD: It would bring everything that city brought to me and my family when we moved here. Which is a lot of love and hospitality. Edmonton is a beautiful, diverse place, and I have no doubt they will accept the rest of the world, exactly how they accepted me and my family when we moved here. Edmonton has some great facilities and there are a lot of things happening in the city, especially in the summer seasons. We have some of the best restaurants and dining in western Canada. Plus every year, Edmonton hosts some great festivals, including Heritage Days which host 60 countries who showcase their countries’ favorite foods, music, and entertainment. It’s one of the largest cultural events in the country.

Now that's what Edmonton needs to see more.
We should all be prouder and boast more of our great stuff, instead of the typical Edmontonian self loathing behaviour.

Can someone explain why over $200M of government support is needed to support 4 games? Where is all this money going to?

Back