News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Canada Soccer

I would like to think the province's conditions could be negotiable if the city was selected, such as if we were only designated one round of 32 game instead of two.
And what if FIFA came back with 4 games, would the province truly turn it down? It's hard to know.

Who knows what the provincial government will be like until 2026.
Mind you, the Alberta NDP weren't exactly gung-ho about the World Cup.

Who knows what the provincial government will be like until 2026.
Mind you, the Alberta NDP weren't exactly gung-ho about the World Cup.
The Alberta NDP were clearly not supportive when the then NDP Minister stated "The province has made the difficult decision to not commit to funding support for the City of Edmonton's participation in a joint North American bid for the 2026 FIFA Men's World Cup at this time," said Ricardo Miranda, minister of culture and tourism. Mar 16, 2018. CBC News. Had they been supportive our Bid would be on a solid ground now.

At least the UCP have stepped up to move the bid forward ... despite some of the restrictive language in the letter to the City. I hope the restrictions do not prove too much for FIFA to swallow.

I see the Government of Alberta's stipulations for funding as a starting point for negotiations. Understanding how many games and to what level they are at has an impact on the economic impact the event creates here. I see Edmonton as being in a good position with the best and biggest stadium in the country to host games. Toronto wins hands down on the support amenities like hotels and other infrastructure so that might be the feedback that comes back to Edmonton.

So many unknown details at this point but I have a lot more confidence now that the province has stepped up with something even though there are some conditions attached.

I don't think Vancouver and BC will find their way back into the process but I guess time will tell.

Sorry I deleted my last post which was just a video and now posted this new Global News story that has a lot of new comments from Sohi about the provincial funding, how much money the city is putting and some other details.

Sohi is doing a good job at being optimistic, so that's what I'm going with for myself, too. Edmonton's bid is strong!

One question: where do we believe the money that has been committed will go?

I know that organizing the matches, fan-fest and events usually take up a substantial amount, but by my calculations, between all three levels of government, the total commitment is close to $500M.

Some of it will have to go to some improvements in the Commonwealth, like the natural grass turf, updates in the amenities, etc.

Assuming these 2 items take up to 40% of the total ($200M, and that's high!!!), where would you place your bets?

Mine:

Airport: renovations, especially in the baggage claim area, new lounges, maybe a small expansion, improvements in the QE II and increased transit service between the airport and different points of the city (people will be going to hotels, right?).

General Infrastructure: finishing the Jasper Ave re-modelling, improvements in the Downtown and Old Strathcona (paving, sidewalks, etc.)

not sure about the rest

I've been thinking about this.
Any chance of seeing the Valley Line West LRT expansion completed by 2026? It would be nice to see World Cup attendees taking the LRT to visit WEM.
Or how about express bus/rail service to Jasper or Elk Island?

Last edited:
It would be ideal, but doesn't seem like it will be possible when chatting with a few involved.

Aw.

It's been a question for me for awhile and so I reached out to people on the project team and those at the COE. All had the same answer.

I've been thinking about this.
Any chance of seeing the Valley Line West LRT expansion completed by 2026? It would be nice to see World Cup attendees taking the LRT to visit WEM.
Or how about express bus/rail service to Jasper or Elk Island?

In terms of tourism promoting and attracting, almost all options need be on the table regarding the region, amenities, attractions, etc. Like, the City needs to hire a large, global marketing firm to take advantage that would be able to market all things in and around Edmonton like Jasper, Elk Island, etc. along with putting together festivals and tourist experiences. This would be the best marketing opportunity the city may ever have so having things like express bus service to Jasper and more needs to be considered.

Edmonton needs to have a carefully crafted image sold to the world during this opportunity if it wants to benefit decades after the games, similar to how Calgary has from the Olympics.

Last edited:
Many folks will fly into and out of YYC and head to Banff over Jasper, but here's hoping we can create some amazing day trips to Elk Island and get Tourism Jasper to draw out a few.

Although FIFA won't be naming host cities until end of April/early May according to reports, Edmonton may get a very good idea next week if 2026 is in the cards.
According to BC Global news story, FIFA will decide next week if Vancouver will be considered as a potential host along with Edmonton and Toronto, or if they are out.

Although FIFA won't be naming host cities until end of April/early May according to reports, Edmonton may get a very good idea next week if 2026 is in the cards.
According to BC Global news story, FIFA will decide next week if Vancouver will be considered as a potential host along with Edmonton and Toronto, or if they are out.

Lol according to that report Vancouver should not only be reconsidered, but in place of Edmonton.

Maybe someone on here knows but what is the process for cities to be selected? It sounds like there was a formal process that involved a lot of check list items for cities interested in bidding, of which Toronto and Edmonton we apart of that process. Vancouver dropped out of that process leaving Edmonton and Toronto. How does Vancouver just get back in? Is the process that flexibly selective and loose? If so, that seems like some very FIFA type stuff just to let a potential favorite back into a formal process when others followed the "rules" of the city qualification process.

Many folks will fly into and out of YYC and head to Banff over Jasper, but here's hoping we can create some amazing day trips to Elk Island and get Tourism Jasper to draw out a few.
Your optimism overwhelms me. The majority of the 3-5 teams playing in Edmonton will arrive in the USA and get flights from the USA nonstop to YEG and YEG may very well have flights from EWR, ORD and elsewhere. As to Jasper - the tourism effort must start and be pushed in Edmonton promoting Jasper.

Back