News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Anthony Henday Drive

I’m one of the “12,700” working on this pipeline. The stories I’ve seen and heard would make your head spin. At the end of the day this will go down as the biggest WHITE Elephant on the “planet!” PM selfie socks has spared no expense. This will be my retirement job……11 years from now….lol
White Elephant as in it was never needed and won't be used?

As in over budget by billions and billions and billions……is that the same as a White Elephant? Lol

As in over budget by billions and billions and billions……is that the same as a White Elephant? Lol

Esp after SA Energy got booted off and Midwest replaced them. What a disaster

I think TCE has found the right formula for pipeline construction with the way they're doing the NGTL line. Bring in multiple different contractors to do varying 40ish km length spreads at different locations and at different points of time. Seems counterintuitive but they're hammering out that big inch line pretty quick and I haven't heard much for substantial cost overruns.

TMEP is doing the same….different pipeline companies for each spread. Pretty sure Surreus took over SA’s spread on 5a. The Kiewit/Bonatti spread on 5b is a cluster beyond all recognition. Bonatti is bringing in “labourers from Italy” - wow….we’re now giving Visas for labourers?

Yeah but on much larger spreads (most TMEP are a few hundo KM, barring the ones near terminals i.e. spread 1 whereas NGTL it's all 30-40-50 km spreads). Pretty sure SMJV always had 5A but I could be entirely incorrect.

I've heard a lot of the same with both Bonatti and SICIM but then also heard it's only mgmt/supers/"specialized" experience guys rather than labourers but I don't get involved that deep

How's the 3 lane extension of the SW Henday coming along? I haven't driven by in a while.
It's been widened to three lanes everywhere except the North Saskatchewan and Wedgewood bridges. Although they haven't opened the third lane to the public yet. No idea what they're doing at the bridges cause I can't get good views while driving past. As for the Whitemud Drive interchange, they finished the ramp bridges, painting and all. I still wish they could remove the left turns and convert it to a full cloverleaf though.

It's been widened to three lanes everywhere except the North Saskatchewan and Wedgewood bridges. Although they haven't opened the third lane to the public yet. No idea what they're doing at the bridges cause I can't get good views while driving past. As for the Whitemud Drive interchange, they finished the ramp bridges, painting and all. I still wish they could remove the left turns and convert it to a full cloverleaf though.

At the North Saskatchewan south bridge they are widening the supports at the top of the columns. The work is happening under the highway, not noticed from the top but I have seen workers when I am cycling in the area. They have also cordoned off the area under the sections where they are working. I asked the guy setting up the barriers and he said they will be there for a few weeks.

So the 17th St. overpass - 2 lane addition - has been under construction for 6 years - anyone have any idea when it is going to be finished? You can't even make this stuff up......

Last edited:
So the 17th St. overpass - 2 lane addition - has been under construction for 6 years - anyone have any idea when it is going to be finished? You can't even make this stuff up......
I thought it's only be under construction over the last couple of years? The below image is from 2018.

AB-216 - Google Maps.png

That's shocking, honestly - I thought they started even earlier than 6 years ago. Still, they added 2 girders and did some ramp paving in 4 years......it still looks like a war zone.....

I took a drive on the Henday from Stony Plain Road to the Sherwood Park Freeway. The construction signs along the west and SW is still stating that construction will wrap up in October 2022, but I don't know how much of the 3-lane extension will actually be completed by then.

The river crossing should be complete by then. Girders are to be installed this spring. Whitemud Drive crossing should be completed by early summer. Wedgewood ravine crossing is almost complete but needs resurfacing of the existing sections. Also expect lane closures again this summer as they complete the lane rehabilitation.

Carmacks' SW Henday page has been updated for the 2022 season, still planning to be done by the fall.

Carmacks' SW Henday page has been updated for the 2022 season, still planning to be done by the fall.

Construction-Activities.png

Back