News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Anthony Henday Drive

functional planning vs. actual design. Plus at least in last rounds of p3 processes, design refinements have saved millions.

$8M safety barriers going up in median of Edmonton ring road
The Alberta government is in the process of putting up cable safety barriers around the entire Edmonton ring road as an added safety measure.

“We’re putting high tension cable barrier all the way around the ring road, in the median,” explained Bill Van Der Meer, project manager of Edmonton’s ring road.

“It’s basically to prevent any kind of crossover, head-on type collision. That’s the idea. It’s a safety feature.”

The barriers started going up in the centre median of Anthony Henday Drive this past summer and fall. Crews are working along the northwest, southwest and southeast stretches of the freeway. The cable barriers in these areas are expected to be installed by March.

The remaining stretch of roadway in northeast Edmonton will be finished by March 2019, Van Der Meer said.

“The ring roads, Edmonton and Calgary, are very high volume, high speed roads. Even though the median is wide — that was the whole idea to have clear zone for safety — there have been some crossovers on those roads and so this is just an added safety feature.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3952537/anthony-henday-drive-cable-barriers-edmonton/

It also keeps assholes from cutting across the median. The NW section from YH north seems to have a lot of people who need to cut across and head the other way.

Relief for southwest Anthony Henday commuters
Work is set to begin on widening the southwest segment of Edmonton’s ring road.

The project involves widening 18 kilometres of Anthony Henday Drive between Calgary Trail and Whitemud Drive from four to six lanes.

This segment of the Henday was originally designed for traffic capacity of 40,000 vehicles each day travelling in both directions. Today, there are about 80,000 vehicles on the southwest Henday daily.

Alberta Transportation anticipates work on the southwest Henday widening project will begin in fall 2019. The project is expected to take about three years to complete and be open to traffic in fall 2022.

Quick facts
  • Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216) is an 80-kilometre freeway that encircles Edmonton.
  • The southwest segment of the Anthony Henday was designed for future widening. The wide outside shoulders will be converted to new lanes in each direction.
  • Bridge structures were also designed with widening in mind.
  • Design for the widening project began in 2017.
  • Construction of the ring road began in 1990 and was officially completed and opened to traffic in October 2016.

Was at the open house last week. No detailed plans at all. A few boards with high level maps and cross sections, and too many people crowded around to be able to get a close look.

Did get a bit of info: This year they'll be working on two noise walls. One on the west side by the Hamptons, and one on the west side of Hwy 2 by Blackburn, just south of the interchange. They'll also be doing some bridge work this winter. No lane closures required.

So next year they'll widen the roadway. The current right side shoulder will become a new lane (the right lane), after they build a new shoulder. The second year they'll fix the opposite (left) lane while traffic uses the new right lane plus the center lane. The third year they'll fix the center lane while traffic uses the two outside lanes.

Two interesting things I learned:

1. The entire concrete stretch will be ground down and smoothed out to remove the ripple effect.
2. They're adding the new lanes to the outside of the highway (the right side), rather than the much easier inside.

I asked why they were adding the lane on the outside and the contractor said it's so that they can maintain a drainage ditch down the middle. When I pointed out that the ditch between the lanes is 20 metres wide leaving plenty of space to add two lanes, and maintain the ditch, he said "that's true" and didn't have any further reasoning. I think he didn't really know the reason but was speculating. Although he did add that when fourth lane is added in the future, that lane would be added to the inside.

According to Carmacks' timeline, they should be finished adding lanes to the bridges by fall. I know they've been working away over Wedgewood Creek, but have they even started on the river bridges?

I drive it fairly regularly and it seems that the WB side may further along, but I don't think any major work has been done on either side yet.

Slightly off topic but also from driving the construction section fairly regularly, the amount of people who drive dangerously fast (20+ over the limit) and weave in and out of traffic in the construction zone WHILE there are workers present is pretty ridiculous, though pretty on point considering the behaviour of many drivers in this city. I'd be quite unnerved if I were a construction worker; hopefully they are able to finish construction without anyone getting hurt. I do recall seeing some mangled barriers and mowed down pylons last year, presumably from being hit.

I drive it fairly regularly and it seems that the WB side may further along, but I don't think any major work has been done on either side yet.

Slightly off topic but also from driving the construction section fairly regularly, the amount of people who drive dangerously fast (20+ over the limit) and weave in and out of traffic in the construction zone WHILE there are workers present is pretty ridiculous, though pretty on point considering the behaviour of many drivers in this city. I'd be quite unnerved if I were a construction worker; hopefully they are able to finish construction without anyone getting hurt. I do recall seeing some mangled barriers and mowed down pylons last year, presumably from being hit.
I sometimes wish we had the resources to put radars everywhere! They seem to be convinced that they're above the law and, even worse, above people's safety!

Back