News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Anthony Henday Drive

Oh that I don't disagree with.

Curios though as to when the 135 interchange will be built... Kinda concerns me as even currently heading west bound the traffic gets so backed up with the multi merge lanes with no free flow merges.

Forgot that I had shot these on departing for Reykjavik at the beginning of September:

AHD / Gateway Blvd / Calgary Trail:
IMG_20160901_191243.jpg

AHD / Yellowhead Trail:
IMG_20160901_191437.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160901_191243.jpg
    IMG_20160901_191243.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 473
  • IMG_20160901_191437.jpg
    IMG_20160901_191437.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 409
Drove the interchange at YHT and Henday... nearly missed my ramp forgetting it's all done and changed.

Man alive is it nice, and what a view to downtown from that flyover ramp.

Would be a perfect spot for a good long exposure light trails shot - wanna go?

Edmonton says provincial numbers flawed on 127 Street access
An Edmonton councillor pitched a new solution for the 127 Street issue Tuesday and argued the existing Anthony Henday access is far less dangerous than the province believes.

Coun. Bryan Anderson wants the province to hold off closing the access until Edmonton can build simple, safe on-off ramps for a new access at 135 Street, which would support a new park and ride in 2019.

“North-south transportation in south and southwest Edmonton is under attack,” said Anderson, who worries forcing the roughly 6,000 people who use that route every day onto other roads will just increase congestion further.

Southwest Edmonton struggles with a shortage of north-south connections. Council voted Tuesday to lobby for Anderson’s solution.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

127 Street access closure postponed
The closure of the 127th Street access to and from Anthony Henday Drive in southwest Edmonton is being postponed.

In discussions with the City of Edmonton, Alberta Transportation is evaluating options for access to Anthony Henday Drive at this location.

This closure had been scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12, but will be postponed as discussions continue between the Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton.

New timelines for closure of the 127 Street access have yet to be determined.

Media inquiries
http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=4380921C3E887-031D-756D-C991D476D73E1EAE

Paved with good intentions: province grants Edmonton's request to keep 127 Street access open to Henday for now
Edmonton’s last-minute lobbying of Alberta Transportation to keep open the 127 Street access to Anthony Henday Drive paid off Thursday.

The province agreed to keep the north-south connection open, at least temporarily.

Provincial officials wanted to close access on and off the Henday at that south-side connection at 10 p.m. Saturday, arguing the short lanes created a hazard for drivers travelling the busy freeway.

Coun. Bryan Anderson said 6,000 people use that access every day, with alternative routes already near capacity.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

@Daveography ah so they did postpone closing of 127... much to my fiancee's dismay... it slows down the Henday so much since no one can exit or merge properly there.

Thats disappointing... it's quite packed now, wonder how long we will have to wait to see it get some attention.

No decision yet on southwest Anthony Henday but it’s getting closer
southwest-henday.jpg

A view of the southwest leg of Anthony Henday Drive from the Global 1 news helicopter.
Global News

While you sat behind the wheel on Monday, dealing with traffic that didn’t really move, the thought of diverting to the Anthony Henday in southwest Edmonton likely crossed your mind.

It’s been on the mind of planners both at the Alberta legislature and at Edmonton City Hall as well. The project manager for Edmonton’s ring road confirmed on Tuesday that consultants have been hired, plans are being looked at and work is being done to expand that original stretch that was the first to open 10 years ago from two lanes to three.
“I’m guessing this project is probably coming more on the radar, but exactly when it is going to go ahead is hard to predict,” said Bill Van Der Meer, who confirmed Alberta Transportation officials review the project annually along with other projects like the Calgary ring road, the bypass in Red Deer and other roadways.

They look at traffic and congestion, but also regional tie-ins.

“It’s a province-wide priority list,” Van Der Meer said.

He said more will be known in the spring when the budget is clearer. Right now, lane widening is not in the three-year plan.

The southwest expansion of the Anthony Henday is also intertwined with other projects in the area. There’s extending Terwillegar Drive into 170 Street to service the west side of Edmonton International Airport. There’s also work on 41 Avenue S.W. as cargo expansion continues to be a regional priority.

Mayor Don Iveson said the airport plan remains a focus of the Airports Authority, Leduc County and the City of Leduc as they look at long-term economic development.

He said they’re not only trying to lure e-commerce giant Amazon to Edmonton, but Alibaba as well.

“It’s the opportunity to do a significant amount of work with third-party logistics and freight forwarding and distribution,” he said. “It’s one of the reasons why those roads will be important in the medium term for economic growth and for why good planning on the back side of the airport is critical to our long-term prosperity.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3771028/...thwest-anthony-henday-but-its-getting-closer/

Alberta government ‘looking at’ widening Anthony Henday Drive in southwest Edmonton
It’s caused headaches for drivers for years and now the Alberta government says it is looking at possibly expanding Anthony Henday Drive in southwest Edmonton.

At a media availability on Tuesday morning, Transportation Minister Brian Mason said congestion issues on the busy section of the Edmonton ring road are brought to his attention “fairly regularly.”

“That is something that we’re looking at,” Mason said.
“We are doing the design work on widening the southwest Henday. We know that it’s congested. It’s not currently in the construction plan, but it is something that we’re looking at and proceeding, as I said, with design.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3835336/...g-anthony-henday-drive-in-southwest-edmonton/

Curious what they mean "with design" as the entire AH was designed to an ultimate 10 lane configuration if my memory serves me correct.

aka are they just trying to buy some time with the media...

Back