News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Honestly as someone who works in close conjunction with this sector of the political world. The current governing party has had genuinely no idea what to do and what their main proper priorities are since they got re-elected and even beforehand. I literally don't want to say more for privacy reasons. They're going to do what they're going to do. The last time the UCP tried a more public approach to governing, that blew up so fast in their faces (The issue regarding safe supply under Jason Kenney)

I'm of the opinion that attending conferences are good btw. I just find it fucking hilarious UCP associated staff and pundits were touting the Saudis warning of moving away from fossil fuels when we were clowning on them a few years ago for "ethical oil".

I know I'm some anonymous poster and whatever claims I have, I can't truly disclose the source of. But thinking from an outsider's perspective that they might be open to suggestions is beyond laughable. They're staggeringly incompetent.

What a glib response. Breaking down what you've said, apparently I can't take a position that opposes the government because I am not an elected official in the sitting government. That's an attitude that certain types of politicians rely on. One cannot say, while maintaining their integrity, that people would be outraged if Smith didn't go to COP28. The consternation stems from the knowledge that she has no business attending as a good-faith representative.

But you are right. If I just tell Danielle Smith that the devastating restrictions on the renewables industry imposed by her government were a bad idea for the myriad apparent reasons, I'm sure she'll quickly reverse course.
City council bad. UCP good. Standard response from this poster.

What a glib response. Breaking down what you've said, apparently I can't take a position that opposes the government because I am not an elected official in the sitting government. That's an attitude that certain types of politicians rely on. One cannot say, while maintaining their integrity, that people would be outraged if Smith didn't go to COP28. The consternation stems from the knowledge that she has no business attending as a good-faith representative.

But you are right. If I just tell Danielle Smith that the devastating restrictions on the renewables industry imposed by her government were a bad idea for the myriad apparent reasons, I'm sure she'll quickly reverse course.
As I've said before, the time to make your concerns known about Danielle Smith and the UCP was during the election. It's pointless trying to move the needle now with almost four years before the next vote.

Reactions: God
City council bad. UCP good. Standard response from this poster.
No, I simply recognize incompetence when I see it, and this current (and the previous) city councils have a lot to answer for. The Metro Line, the Valley Line SE, the decision to cheap out and go street level with the Capital Line at Ellerslie and damn the consequences, the decision to build Blatchford Gate and leave it unopened for years...the list goes on.

I have never said the UCP was a flawless administration, nor did I in fact vote for them in 2023. I simply am disheartened by the knee jerk reaction from much of Edmonton (including many of the members of this board) that because the party that Edmonton voted for lost the election, it is acceptable to spend the next four years doing nothing but complaining. Instead of bellyaching about everything the UCP does, offer some constructive proposals or alternatives. It is true, of course, that the provincial government does not have to act on them, but then again they were elected on a particular platform whereas you and I were not.

The fact is that much of the rest of the province strongly likes what the UCP has to offer. Again, the time to express concern about that or try to change people's minds was in April and May, not now.

I think the root of the problem is that a lot of Edmontonians (including a big chunk of members on this board) sat on their hands and did little to nothing to try to deliver an NDP win in the recent election (and let's face it, the NDP was never going to win government with just Edmonton-area seats alone). So now they're spending the next four years complaining about the results of their own inaction.

No, I simply recognize incompetence when I see it, and this current (and the previous) city councils have a lot to answer for. The Metro Line, the Valley Line SE, the decision to cheap out and go street level with the Capital Line at Ellerslie and damn the consequences, the decision to build Blatchford Gate and leave it unopened for years...the list goes on.
The time to make your concerns known about Edmonton city council was during the election.

I don’t know how we can call this site a safe place for debates when comments get deleted. I mean yesterday or the day before there was a “pop up” debate on another thread I’ll call it I guess. Yes it was very, very, very off topic but someone suggested it be moved to this thread here. Multiple people liked and agreed with the comment. Just like countless other times where there have been off topic discussions that don’t get deleted but, get switched into another thread. I realize this site is very heavily left leaning. However there were generalised baseless comments that were made that I stood against but not only stood against. I offered insight as to why. Insight on my past and my families past and how it impacts the way I view our current world and our current issues. I wasn’t commanding anyone switch their political views I was simply shutting down baseless accusations. It’s a shame and frankly disgusting that whoever is in charge of this site deleted the comments entirely. I don’t care if you disagree. There will always be people I disagree with but to remove what I said because you don’t necessarily agree with it is just gross. I’ve seen way worse things said in the name of politics on this site before. Disagree with me, let me know you disagree with me, explain why you disagree or disagree silently. That’s all okay to do. To delete a comment I made in a defensive manner is fucking stupid. it’s funny because the last comment I read before I went to bed was that Daniel smith checks multiple boxes of fascism, and here I am with my words stripped away… I’m not blaming anyone with opposite views of me Ik there’s plenty of good people both sides of these debates. However if you’re the one that removed my comment. You’re a genuine piece of shit, people like you are the reason why “the left” or “the right” leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. You’re the reason why the country is more and more divided. How? When removing the comments you single-handedly removed any chance of both sides of the debate finding any middle ground. I hope both sides of your pillow are warm for the rest of your life.

I don’t know how we can call this site a safe place for debates when comments get deleted. I mean yesterday or the day before there was a “pop up” debate on another thread I’ll call it I guess. Yes it was very, very, very off topic but someone suggested it be moved to this thread here. Multiple people liked and agreed with the comment. Just like countless other times where there have been off topic discussions that don’t get deleted but, get switched into another thread. I realize this site is very heavily left leaning. However there were generalised baseless comments that were made that I stood against but not only stood against. I offered insight as to why. Insight on my past and my families past and how it impacts the way I view our current world and our current issues. I wasn’t commanding anyone switch their political views I was simply shutting down baseless accusations. It’s a shame and frankly disgusting that whoever is in charge of this site deleted the comments entirely. I don’t care if you disagree. There will always be people I disagree with but to remove what I said because you don’t necessarily agree with it is just gross. I’ve seen way worse things said in the name of politics on this site before. Disagree with me, let me know you disagree with me, explain why you disagree or disagree silently. That’s all okay to do. To delete a comment I made in a defensive manner is fucking stupid. it’s funny because the last comment I read before I went to bed was that Daniel smith checks multiple boxes of fascism, and here I am with my words stripped away… I’m not blaming anyone with opposite views of me Ik there’s plenty of good people both sides of these debates. However if you’re the one that removed my comment. You’re a genuine piece of shit, people like you are the reason why “the left” or “the right” leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. You’re the reason why the country is more and more divided. How? When removing the comments you single-handedly removed any chance of both sides of the debate finding any middle ground. I hope both sides of your pillow are warm for the rest of your life.
I havent read the back and forth debate that is going on, but what I have come to realize about this site is that this site is meant for posting statements of optimism, giving pats on the back while being defensive about critical statements, mixed in with some kumbaya raw raw-ism, and counting likes on posts for boosterism.

If you share insights or post anything that does not suit the "optimistic" narrative of the overall general sentiment of this forum, you are labelled as just being "negative".

If you want debates or discussion regarding insights, this forum can be the wrong place for that.

To be fair as controversial as Ted is on this sight and as much as I disagree with a lot of what he says, my debate I mentioned was with him specifically and even he seems to agree that deleting the chats is unacceptable. I think largely that most of the members on this forum are alright with disagreeing with each other and there have been plenty of debates. However, there’s a few moments where people tend to make what wasn’t personal become personal when they insult people in some way shape or form and it’s almost always very unnecessary. This is one of those moments lol. Bringing up former clients in a public forum is a dirty move. Ted you invite it onto yourself though you’re very obnoxious and proudly obnoxious it’s very weird. Grow up

@God most of my cage-rattling comments are meant to be tongue-in-cheek and it spoils the effect to have to say so -- I agree it should be toned down -- the evil devil on my left shoulder keeps prodding me to respond to those who are either excessively negative -- bad news all of the time -- or are as smug and as self-righteous as I am (or think I am). Debates should go full-bloom as long as they don't reach the level of condescending name-calling (I have been guilty here too at times when someone initiates that tone). When the discussion zips out of the debate forum I try to resist (I really do) but then when it starts to pile on I get giddy with perverse excitement. As a good Christian I promise to try to do better.

PS @God I do not find your comments offensive at all and I welcome your debates -- in my mind they should not have been erased.

This is a bit dramatic. Skyrise Edmonton is plenty safe for debates, but a thread for a specific building is not the place for long walls of text arguing about liberal indoctrination and Overton windows.

Most people on this site are just looking for updates on projects or to see how they have evolved over time. Cluttering up threads with unending sophomoric debates just degrades that experience.

Anyways, I've restored the whole comment exchange (the comment you were "defending yourself against" was also removed) and moved it to this thread:

From the exchange:
The lesson here is to not bring politics into everything because I will destroy you at an intellectual level.
A lot of middle ground to be found, hey?

This is a bit dramatic. Skyrise Edmonton is plenty safe for debates, but a thread for a specific building is not the place for long walls of text arguing about liberal indoctrination and Overton windows.

Most people on this site are just looking for updates on projects or to see how they have evolved over time. Cluttering up threads with unending sophomoric debates just degrades that experience.

Anyways, I've restored the whole comment exchange (the comment you were "defending yourself against" was also removed) and moved it to this thread:

From the exchange:

A lot of middle ground to be found, hey?
I agree with you. I don’t think I was right to comment on that specific forum. It’s an honest mistake though. The mistake isn’t the comment but where I wrote it. Plenty of people have made the same mistake is my point and it isn’t ever a big deal just switch it to its proper forum. That’s all that really needed to happen and we even called for it. Debates just pop up sometimes you know. I think whoever removed the comments entirely was being dramatic. Apologies to those who just wanted updates on the buildings. I get it I’ve been there and seeing the long walls of texts that are off topic is annoying. My fault

Back