News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Did it ever occur to the regional centres like Red Deer or Metro Constituencies like Spruce Grove-Stony Plain that they have a greater voice this provincial election? The NDP could secure a half dozen more seats.

I agree, it is splitting hairs. I'm not against an arena in Calgary as I remember the long drawn out process here and have sympathy for what they have gone through too.

However, even though it was hard we managed to do it without getting money from the province. I also realize this is political and likely Calgary will get what we did not.

So at this point I feel all we can try to do is to get something to try balance things off which is why I think the province should at least pay for the Coliseum demo here.
The UCP will likely argue that they have already committed $634 million to benefit Edmonton over the next three years, in the form of the southwest hospital. This of course is hardly the full cost cost of the facility, and the hospital seems mired in more delays than the Valley Line SE--the two projects will probably end up opening at the same time. But that's the argument that the UCP will no doubt make--that there's money being spent on Edmonton infrastructure, just in a different form.

The UCP could also get really snarky and point out all the provincial cash that has been spent and committed on transit in Edmonton--Valley Line West, Blatchford LRT, Capital Line South. Meanwhile Calgary is only getting the Green Line, and a rather truncated one at that.

Smith can focus on bus service!
HPZP3VS7A5GC5HKSZVFQ76I55I

I agree, it is splitting hairs. I'm not against an arena in Calgary as I remember the long drawn out process here and have sympathy for what they have gone through too.

However, even though it was hard we managed to do it without getting money from the province. I also realize this is political and likely Calgary will get what we did not.

So at this point I feel all we can try to do is to get something to try balance things off which is why I think the province should at least pay for the Coliseum demo here.

According to Smith, this arena district money is just bringing the two cities on par as Edmonton in the last provincial budget received almost $300 million more than Calgary over the next few years.

I don't know if that is true although I do know in terms of homeless shelter space that Calgary had been getting funding 3 to 1 to Edmonton.

This is exactly what Smith was hoping for - betting this will be enough to take Calgary. You can tell from her comments today when Notley came out with concerns about the deal.

UCP strategists say they have polling that shows very high support for a Flames rink and event centre.

Smith responded in a statement: “I really thought Rachel understood how important this arena and development investment was for Calgary but I guess not.

“Fifteen out of 15 city councillors voted for it for starters. Are they all part of her grand conspiracy too?

“Let me be very clear — if the UCP wins the next election, we will be moving ahead with this deal. It appears the NDP, if elected, would not do the same.”

I think the NDP supports a Calgary arena. The issue is the way it's packaged. Edmonton did not receive any direct provincial perks for Rogers Place. The City needed plan after plan to move the Ice District forward. Calgary had years of benefits from the East Village Community Revitalization Levy. Edmonton raised money through one for downtown.

I think the real issue is the apparent lack of any provincial government support (not just money) when Edmonton was planning its Arena District. Edmonton has had to fight for provincial support for LRT, transportation, hospitals and schools for decades.

I also wonder about the needs of Albertans. They need schools and health facilities, and personnel to run them. An arena is nice, but I think it's more of a luxury item. I agree with Notley's point of hidden costs. Who's going to cover that? I don't think Calgary city taxpayers will be happy if it's them..

Edmonton has the worst city roads I have ever seen. Probably the worst downtown for the capital city in NA, considering a very high GDP per capita. And there is a reason why it is like that - lack of capital investments for decades.
If UCP wins, I am out of here.

Last edited:
Ice district phase 2 is mostly rentals and condos if I remember right so it's not like public rinks or facilities are being built there. Rings a bit hollow honestly, I'd much rather that money go to commonwealth if it comes here at all.

Seems like there is support for a Calgary YYC Flames New Arena deal between Alberta provincial government & @cityofcalgary. As a @citynewscalgary reporter spoke to several Calgarians who are in (favor of 1👍✅).

Back