News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.9K     0 

Alberta Politics

Saw some clips from the arena press conference. Smith said this funding was an opportunity for government to even the gap between Edmonton and Calgary saying that $3.1B was allocated to Edmonton in the last budget versus $2.9B to Calgary. Be interested to hear what Sohi says about that.

Smith also suggested funding later on could come for Edmonton's arena district phase II.

Saw some clips from the arena press conference. Smith said this funding was an opportunity for government to even the gap between Edmonton and Calgary saying that $3.1B was allocated to Edmonton in the last budget versus $2.9B to Calgary. Be interested to hear what Sohi says about that.

Smith also suggested funding later on could come for Edmonton's arena district phase II.
Wait what? Ice District Phase 2? She said something?

Won't come close to 300M +. Noticed her smug remark at the end of her release, "for tonight only - go Oilers go." Is this thing for real? Did she just say that?

Mentioned, "I talked to a councilman in Edmonton." But of course not Sohi, if I were him I would be losing my mind right now and send a strongly worded email......lol

Saw a quick clip of Sohi congratulating Calgary and saying Edmonton needs funding for upgrades at Commonwealth Stadium. Here's hoping that can become a reality.

A few of you have mentioned demolition of Northlands, has that still not happened?

Saw a quick clip of Sohi congratulating Calgary and saying Edmonton needs funding for upgrades at Commonwealth Stadium. Here's hoping that can become a reality.

A few of you have mentioned demolition of Northlands, has that still not happened?
Nope, but Council voted to add it to the 2023-26 Budget and it's planned to happen in 2025, all funded with municipal dollars. The province could easily swoop in and provide a grant covering 100% of the costs like they are proposing with the Saddledome, but I doubt they will.

Nope, but Council voted to add it to the 2023-26 Budget and it's planned to happen in 2025, all funded with municipal dollars. The province could easily swoop in and provide a grant covering 100% of the costs like they are proposing with the Saddledome, but I doubt they will.
If you have any pollsters call, say you're going to vote UCP, make Smith think Edmonton isn't sold on the NDP and maybe she will try to buy votes!

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for them to offer to pay for that. It would be a bargain compared to what they have just committed for the Calgary arena.

However, I doubt that will happen. On a more optimistic but related note the thing that may save us from them is their incompetence.

I don't know if there should be mandatory treatment for drug (under the UCP proposal).
It's intrusive into the rights of people under the Charter and likely to be shot down by the Supreme Court. The Alberta Eugenics Board was an agency created by the Alberta government under control by United Farmers of Alberta. "On March 25, 1927, George Hoadley, Minister of Agriculture and Health in John E. Brownlee's UFA government, introduced a sexual sterilization bill. The bill faced enormous opposition, primarily from the Conservative and Liberal parties, and did not pass the second reading. Hoadley promised to reintroduce it the following year and, on February 23, 1928, the bill was passed. On March 21, 1928, the lieutenant governor gave royal assent to the Sexual Sterilization Act. Brought in by the UFA, the Act remained in place under the following Social Creditgovernments of William Aberhart and Ernest Manning, which amended the Act in 1937 to allow sterilization without consent, and the first year of the Progressive Conservative government.[14] After Peter Lougheed's Progressive Conservative government took power, the Alberta Eugenics Board was finally disbanded and the Sexual Sterilization Act repealed in 1972.[15]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Eugenics_Board

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like to play devils advocate and I do have concerns about mandatory treatment. However, there are also valid concerns about the harm people are causing to themselves or others.

In so far this is paternalistic, yes it is similar to the Eugenics Board. However, that was also based on misguided scientific opinion of the time as it was felt if they had children they would inherit their parents limitations which was not generally true, so in that case there was no harm to anyone else except to the person being sterilized.

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for them to offer to pay for that. It would be a bargain compared to what they have just committed for the Calgary arena.

However, I doubt that will happen. On a more optimistic but related note the thing that may save us from them is their incompetence.
i’m not sure having the province spending more money foolishly is the best response to their promising to spend money foolishly “if you elect us and if cabinet then approves it and if treasury then funds it”…

If the flames and calgary think a new arena is the best investment they can make with their tax dollars, then i would encourage them to do what edmonton did and go for it as i did when the oilers and edmonton were.having the same discussion.

this splitting hairs saying “it’s not for the arena, it’s for infrastructure” when the infrastructure is integral with the new arena and wouldn’t be needed without the new arena is just more smoke and mirrors.

I agree, it is splitting hairs. I'm not against an arena in Calgary as I remember the long drawn out process here and have sympathy for what they have gone through too.

However, even though it was hard we managed to do it without getting money from the province. I also realize this is political and likely Calgary will get what we did not.

So at this point I feel all we can try to do is to get something to try balance things off which is why I think the province should at least pay for the Coliseum demo here.

I agree, it is splitting hairs. I'm not against an arena in Calgary as I remember the long drawn out process here and have sympathy for what they have gone through too.

However, even though it was hard we managed to do it without getting money from the province. I also realize this is political and likely Calgary will get what we did not.

So at this point I feel all we can try to do is to get something to try balance things off which is why I think the province should at least pay for the Coliseum demo here.
or they could expropriate that whole triangle of northlands north of 118 avenue along with the coliseum and give it to the alberta film commission along with $300 million for them to use to develop and manage studio and recording and set spaces as a provincial diversification initiative…

Back