East Junction | 86m | 25s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I mean, the rest of the site is still a half a hole in the ground with construction garbage strewn all over, with plastic capped rebar that hasn't moved in a year and a half, but sure, tell everyone they complain too much about a building that is barely better than the one across the street.

I mean, the rest of this site is one big complaint-fest so I may as well join in on the complaining too because damn, people looooove to complain.

I mean, the rest of this site is one big complaint-fest so I may as well join in on the complaining too because damn, people looooove to complain.

So what do you like so much about this tower? Please explain to us why it's less soviet looking than the building across the street? What are the architectural features that impress you the most?

So what do you like so much about this tower? Please explain to us why it's less soviet looking than the building across the street? What are the architectural features that impress you the most?

For one thing, it actually has some thought put into the facade, yes? It's not a chalk-and-charcoal coloured hulk, and has some nicely coloured accents and elements?

It has a podium instead of being surrounded by a couple of cereal box low-rises? There's some attempt at landscaping, rather than just a grass lawn and trees?

Don't be facetious. If people don't like it, they can fork out 50 million and build something that meets their standards.

For one thing, it actually has some thought put into the facade, yes? It's not a chalk-and-charcoal coloured hulk, and has some nicely coloured accents and elements?

It has a podium instead of being surrounded by a couple of cereal box low-rises? There's some attempt at landscaping, rather than just a grass lawn and trees?

Don't be facetious. If people don't like it, they can fork out 50 million and build something that meets their standards.
Are you not being facetious yourself? 🙃

There are plenty of reasons why this Regency project and others are criticized and the criticism is fair if you ask me. The BMO site, the Emerald site, this site. Lazy design relative to other developments in Edmonton and they don't seem to care about maintaining their sites, not to mention the approach they took to rezoning with the community engagement or lack thereof. All you have to do is go to the first few pages of this thread to see how adversarial that was.

If people don't like it, they can say so on this forum and have open dialogue about it. No need to be flippant and say they can simply go build their own tower. The rest of your post was great. Some of the landscaping can likely be attributed to the Valley Line though.

Obviously our criticisms don't have an effect on developer's decisions or city policy, but it shows our citizens care about our city's future. If our citizens didn't care, if our administration didn't care, we'd have Peregrine Point's everywhere. There would be no EDC. Ed Gooch would be the city's best architect.

If you are building big buildings on prominent sites, you need to expect and live with feedback, positive or otherwise.

Some people do have very highs standards or expectations, but I don't think not wanting sites to sit vacant in prominent locations for years or expecting buildings not to be too drab or dreary is unreasonable.

People complain too much. This is miles ahead of William Place across the road, which looks like something straight out the Soviet era.

Phase 1, along with the supportive housing project on the corner of 95 ave, will hopefully inject some life into the area (plus whatever proposals come out of the rezoning process)...
William place is being redone, at least from the inside. I like it more than all the low rise crap that surrounds it.

I live in this area, drive past it every day. All i hear is positive from my passengers. Many wanted to move into it, and these are seniors. You know how hard seniors are to please ? lol.

Personally I love it.
Good! The more the merrier so they can fill in their pit with more phases....

1701220859170.png

To me that would qualify under the city's new unkept properties tax starting in January
Simply contact the city and the developer and make the case for better fence screening. What an amazing advertising opportunity that is going unrealized. They could be selling their property for a near entire city block.

Back