News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Misc. Parks and Greenspace Projects

I see this urban national park initiative seems to be moving along.

Supporting arguments seem to surround accessibility, tourism, and ecological protection. I am yet to be convinced if the benefits are there, or maybe it is just a program used in the name of getting federal dollars for river valley initiatives like touch the water. Not sure if/when in place things will work as smoothly as we would like but will continue to follow along.
I would like to see the City and River Alliance construct the weir that was proposed decades ago to raise the water level of the river through Edmonton - to activate much greater use of the river and to provide more water storage in the metro area.

As I recall, the weir concept was dismissed because of the amount of silt conveyed by the NS River -- it would be a constant dredge problem -- proof is in how quickly the accidental beach formed. One of the "cons" of having a river system flowing through the deep rich soils of the prairies.

20230711_171036.jpg

20230711_171039.jpg

20230711_171042.jpg

20230711_171117.jpg

The cynic in me wonders if that is net of the trees that died in recent dry spells because the city doesn't really maintain anything well.

The City used to know a lot when it came to plants, then they knew a lot less and now they are learning a lot more (so much so that I believe they might have an arborist in their midst). Currently the trend is extremely positive and it makes me 🤣 Happy!

The City used to know a lot when it came to plants, then they knew a lot less and now they are learning a lot more (so much so that I believe they might have an arborist in their midst). Currently the trend is extremely positive and it makes me 🤣 Happy!
They have more than one Arborist on staff, I can tell you that!

I knew it -- it makes me and @Glenco very happy. It means more diversity to the street scene -- maybe we could even start to see replacement specimens in older neighbourhoods picking up on cultivars that are out of the norm in accent groupings.

I knew it -- it makes me and @Glenco very happy. It means more diversity to the street scene -- maybe we could even start to see replacement specimens in older neighbourhoods picking up on cultivars that are out of the norm in accent groupings.
Speaking of that, I saw my first Tatar Maple planted in a park near my house today, so they are definitely using different species other than the usual Elms and Ashes

Back