News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Parks and Greenspace Projects

Pisani Plaza

20230507_171830.jpg

20230507_171819.jpg

Walked Columbia BLVD yesterday afternoon. Kinda a shame that folks in the area don't sweep this into the gutter before the sweepers come by or that the COE doesn't do a pre-brush.
View attachment 475118
That's very surprising to me. The city came by and did a pre-brush to my sidewalk in Capilano. If that is on their list, I figured surely DT (or DT adjacent) streets would be.

I have used these stairs a number of times. It can be a good work out going up, but it is nice and quick. Personally, I feel it just needs to be well maintained and not changed.

At this time, I wouldn't get carried away adding in spaces for people to loiter in an area that is a bit hidden and not well monitored, as that could become a big problem/issue here.

The Capital City Downtown Plan contemplates these stairs redeveloped into a park. Imagine some concrete stairs but also switchback with plantings, seating and views.

We had a dedicated cleaning crew from DECL that tackled these stairs and hill in April. What a mess it was. And reported all the graffiti, and dead wood that needs to be dealt with by Forestry.

The problem I have seen in this city over and over again is something is not well maintained, so then 10 times as much is spent to replace it. We are penny wise, pound foolish.

Of course, in a few years the nice shiny new replacement after not being well maintained is not so great anymore, repeat cycle and waste more money?

I agree more lighting would be a good idea, however this particular location is really not suitable for big spaces where people can loiter unnoticed or unmonitored, as nice as it might sound in theory.

So save a lot of money, disruption, time and trouble and just spend a bit more on maintenance.

The place is not suitable for loitering right now because it's dark, somewhat secluded, and the staircase is narrow and rickety. Improved lighting and visability, with a sturdier and wider staircase, will make this area safer and more inviting for those who live nearby to enjoy. I don't see how making these type of improvements can be consider a waste of money.

The place is not suitable for loitering right now because it's dark, somewhat secluded, and the staircase is narrow and rickety. Improved lighting and visability, with a sturdier and wider staircase, will make this area safer and more inviting for those who live nearby to enjoy. I don't see how making these type of improvements can be consider a waste of money.
Just to clarify, I don't mean loitering by people who live in the buildings nearby, oh no no that's not the concern. I have regularly comfortable passed people on the staircase. I didn't find it narrow, nor rickety.

But hey what do I know, I am just someone who sometimes uses it not an urban planner.

This would be the perfect spot for a naturally filtered pool (see Borden Park) that was more attuned to Biophilic design principles and better merged with the natural landscape... maybe some day.

City announces new 190 acre River Valley Park in Northeast Edmonton​

May 23, 2023

Edmontonians will have more opportunities to share outdoor experiences and connect with nature when the city's River Valley park system expands this summer with the addition of a new public park in Northeast Edmonton. Nestled along the North Saskatchewan River, this 190 acres of developed parkland (which is larger than Hawrelak Park’s 168 acre footprint and equivalent to 150 football fields), connects with popular River Valley trails and includes unique features such as charming barn bridges, an ornamental lake, a large events centre for gatherings and weddings, trail connections, children’s playground and public washrooms.

“Edmontonians have told us loud and clear that they want to expand River Valley access to enjoy more opportunities to connect with friends, family and the natural world around them,“ said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “I hope this new park will serve as an important gathering place for generations of residents as our city continues to grow.”

The picturesque park, previously known as Our Lady Queen of Peace Ranch North, is located at 17 Street NE and 153 Avenue NE, and its acquisition comes at a time when the City of Edmonton is investing in the wellbeing of Edmontonians, providing opportunities for quality outdoor recreation experiences and expanding the Ribbon of Green network for biodiversity and ecological integrity.

Parks provide important, accessible opportunities for individuals to get active and connect with nature, which can improve people’s physical, emotional and mental health.

“To ensure equitable access to River Valley experiences for all Edmontonians, we must provide recreation opportunities in all corners of the city,” said Ward Dene Councillor Aaron Paquette. “North Edmonton is developing and growing at a fantastic rate, so we are planning, not only for those living here now, but for the needs of future residents as well.”

The park is located adjacent to the Horse Hill Area Structure Plan which includes five future neighbourhoods and an anticipated population of 70,000. Accessible recreation is important to communities because it fosters healthy living, and helps people feel like they belong.

While the City of Edmonton officially acquired the park on May 15, 2023, it will not open to the public until late Summer 2023 in order for staff and crews to perform proper inspections, maintenance work and prepare the facilities and grounds for public use.

Residents and stakeholders will have an opportunity to provide input as part of a concept-planning process that is expected to begin later this year. Following that work, the new park will be officially named. Until then, it will be referred to as Northeast River Valley Park. Information about public engagement opportunities are forthcoming and will be published on edmonton.ca/NERiverValleyPark in the coming months.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/NERiverValleyPark
Photos and Drone Footage B-Roll

Media contact:
Christopher Webster
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-699-0388​

Back