News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

One of my fav posts ever from Not Just Bikes - and the most recent post.

Best line: "(American and Canadian) cities were not built for the car, they were demolished for the car."
Screenshot_20230620-160801_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230620-160859_YouTube.jpg

I walk along that same stretch daily. Totally agree in noticing increase in bike traffic.

I've sent an inquiry to Coun. Stevenson about this - the city needs to change the light at the 116st and 102 Ave intersection to have a bike/pedestrian detector like the 83 Ave bike lane has at 99 street (which is a higher volume vehicular street than 116). You have to stand there waiting for that light to change for too long with no vehicles coming in either direction).

I don't know what the rationale is there.

I encourage anyone who feels the same way to send her something as well.

The city sent me a response to the 102 Ave and 116 street intersection where I was advocating for a detection device like they have at 83 Ave and 99 st. The wait for pedestrians and people on bikes is long while traffic is not busy during the day.

City response:
"The traffic signal at this intersection is designed without detection and will cycle automatically to service traffic on 102 Avenue. This type of operation is used at traffic signals in areas with regular traffic patterns such as the downtown area. The signal timings have been reviewed and changes will be made to reduce the wait time on 102 Avenue. These changes are expected to be completed in the next 2 weeks.,"

I think a detection system is a better option but it's some progress at least.

The city sent me a response to the 102 Ave and 116 street intersection where I was advocating for a detection device like they have at 83 Ave and 99 st. The wait for pedestrians and people on bikes is long while traffic is not busy during the day.

City response:
"The traffic signal at this intersection is designed without detection and will cycle automatically to service traffic on 102 Avenue. This type of operation is used at traffic signals in areas with regular traffic patterns such as the downtown area. The signal timings have been reviewed and changes will be made to reduce the wait time on 102 Avenue. These changes are expected to be completed in the next 2 weeks.,"

I think a detection system is a better option but it's some progress at least.
Thanks for doing that. Hate this one. Just faster cycles helps too. Always better to hit more, but shorter stops I find then 60-120 seconds waits.

I've taken the new 110St bike lanes a few times over the past few weeks, and have to say, I hope there are plans at some point to extend them further south, perhaps down 111 St in McKernan, and then into Pleasantview. Crossing 72 Ave can be pretty sketchy when it's really busy. Otherwise, a very pleasant ride from Saskatchewan Drive to 76 Ave - I tend to think that this particular design (bidirectional) should be the standard going forward; the single lane 106 St and 76 Ave with curvy turn bays and raised sections for the bus stops feel like some sort of boxed-in obstacle course and I'm not particularly a fan.

I've taken the new 110St bike lanes a few times over the past few weeks, and have to say, I hope there are plans at some point to extend them further south, perhaps down 111 St in McKernan, and then into Pleasantview. Crossing 72 Ave can be pretty sketchy when it's really busy. Otherwise, a very pleasant ride from Saskatchewan Drive to 76 Ave - I tend to think that this particular design (bidirectional) should be the standard going forward; the single lane 106 St and 76 Ave with curvy turn bays and raised sections for the bus stops feel like some sort of boxed-in obstacle course and I'm not particularly a fan.

Agree with the above. Trying to pull a chariot down the 106th Street bike lanes is a bit of a challenge!

Very much agreed. The single lane in Edmonton is especially problematic with winter/snow/ice. Minimizing turns is important for safety. And bi-directional gives the luxury of side by side riding if not busy, and for passing. Using an ebike on 106st is pointless cause you’ll often get behind someone going 15km/hr and there’s no passing options.

Between MUPs and bi-directional lanes, every community in our inner ring road should ideally have those in the next 5-8 years imo. With most new suburbs having MUPs decently already too.

Biggest thing we’re missing is protected intersections. Especially for the large ones with 4+ lanes. That’s a huge shortcoming still. Exciting to see more central areas getting real bike lanes though.

Blocked with what and where along it? I haven't been around there.
Contractor vehicles for concrete work, landscaping, utilities, paving, etc etc etc.. Usually north of 82 Ave, but sometimes multiple blockages from 76 Ave to 87 Ave.

Not only have I noticed more people on bikes again this summer, I've noticed more people in the 'bike' lanes who aren't mobile without a motorized wheelchair or some other device.

I remember reading, if you don't see a lot of people around with disbilities or mobility issues, it's not that there isn't many out there, it's that your infrastructure is severely lacking.

Hopefully the number of people out and about continues to grow as does our infrastructure.

I'm pretty excited to be checking out urbanism and bike infrastructure in Norway this September.

Check out this 90 second video of what Bergen, Norway (the country's second largest city after Oslo, and located on the west coast) has recently completed. Pretty impressive.

That’s amazing. Thanks for the share!

If Bergen can build that, then surely we can build a bicycle underpass under the tracks at 76th Ave.

Reactions: TAS

Back