News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

I can't wait to go!

Hopefully the event is a go. Looking into it I see it was cancelled in 2023 due to low registration (the fee was nearly 600 Euros to attend as a two day conference). Host was supposed to be Karlstad, Sweden.

The event didn't happen in winter of 2022 understandably due to pandemic and in 2021 it was virtual. In 2024, for Edmonton, it is being planned as a 4 day event- wonder what that will mean in terms of registration fee.

Hopefully with a Canadian city as host again we can draw good interest from all the major cities across the Prairies along with Ontario/Quebec and the US winter cities where travel to here will be easier and less expensive.

I'm sure the Edmonton committee tasked with putting this on will do a great job.

The international Winter Cycling Congress has been held since 2013 in cities all over the world. It has been hosted by the cities of Oulu, Finland; Winnipeg, Canada; Leeuwarden, Netherlands; Minneapolis, USA; Montreal, Canada; Calgary, Canada; Moscow, Russia; and Joensuu, Finland.

Last edited:
> The Government of Canada is investing $8,900,000 in these projects through the Active Transportation Fund (ATF). The City of Edmonton is contributing $21,80,000.

It might be, but there was a lot of talk during budget deliberations about how some of the $100M could be recouped from federal active transportation grants.

"The City of Edmonton is also receiving funding for four active transportation planning studies. These projects will examine missing active transportation connection links throughout the city; complete designs to address missing walkway connections; identify safe crossings and active transportation facilities for 107 Avenue between 101 Street 122 Street; and examine bike infrastructure needs throughout and specifically in the neighbourhoods of Bonnie Doon, Strathern, Holyrood, and Idywyld."

Planning studies? To examine the missing connection links throughout the city? Somehow throught with the Bike Plan and other things that this work was already completed and routes identified.

And identifying safe crossings and active transportation facilities for 107 Ave? What do they mean by facilities?

Ugh, I thought the city was more ready to proceed with some actual new bike infrastructure in 2023 based on the bike plan and we're getting more studies. Certainly planning is crucial, I just thought we were further along.

Last edited:
Great video:

Just watched this earlier today as well. So good.

In certain districts as many as 50% of all kids are driven to school which given how many students we have accounts for a lot of traffic and congestion.

And at the same time, road safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a concern why people drive their kids, but that just adds to the issue because it means more traffic.

One of the reasons people don't drive their kids is economics - can't afford it so kids walk or bike to school. Those lower income kids are then more susceptible to injury as they often live in areas with higher traffic volumes, higher speed roads and poorer active transportation infrastructure.

Screenshot_20230504-153541_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
This looks like a really good night out. Free secure/monitored bike look up out front as well.
I think I might go check it all out.
1683240057514.png

Bike to the Symphony
50% off tickets!
Friday, May 19, 2023 starting at 6pm
Join Paths for People on an easy, friendly group ride from Old Strathcona to a special concert at the Winspear Centre with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

If I can add one more - extend the bike lanes on 100 Ave from 109 St to 116 St. This is a no-brainer, so why hasn't this been done yet?

^ I already asked this question of the city and got this reply back two weeks ago from the director transportation design:

"The City’s project team is advancing initial efforts to prioritize the most critical bike connections which will improve connectivity, access and create a more complete bike network. This includes coordination and alignment with other City capital projects, in this instance Neighborhood Renewal in Oliver. With work towards prioritizing the network at the early stages, decisions on the inclusion of the 100 Street link, from 109 Street to 116 Street, have not yet been formalized.

Our next steps will include prioritization of the overall bike network, development of project timelines and initial recommendations for route design and identification of engagement opportunities. The bike plan implementation will be supported by outreach activities focused on communications to share information about the initiative. More information will be shared in the coming months, so please look out for updates on the City’s webpage, social media."

I don't know what all that means, but I don't think any work on this section of 100 Ave is happening any time soon - and yet of course it's an obvious missing piece.

That opinion piece in the EJ was great.

Last edited:
Just watched this earlier today as well. So good.

In certain districts as many as 50% of all kids are driven to school which given how many students we have accounts for a lot of traffic and congestion.

And at the same time, road safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a concern why people drive their kids, but that just adds to the issue because it means more traffic.

One of the reasons people don't drive their kids is economics - can't afford it so kids walk or bike to school. Those lower income kids are then more susceptible to injury as they often live in areas with higher traffic volumes, higher speed roads and poorer active transportation infrastructure.

View attachment 474241
Yep... suburban, higher-income neighborhoods (cough cough, SW Edmonton) around school pickup time are also absolute hellscapes of poor driving, congestion, you name it.

Back