News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

^ That's awesome!
I've never never used a secured bike lockup, curious to see them in operation. I imagine they are close to 100% secure as opposed to regular bike racks being much less than 50% depending on the users locks/habits.

Also, a free movie at Metro Cinema and some events.

May 20, 2023
June is BIKE MONTH!

MOTHERLOAD at Metro Cinema!
WITH A CARGO BIKE SHOW & TELL
SATURDAY, JUNE 3, 2023, STARTING AT 2PM.
June is Bike Month, and this year we're kicking off the celebration on June 3 with a screening of MOTHERLOAD at Metro Cinema!

All you need to do to attend this inspiring movie is RSVP today! The movie is free (donations accepted at the door for Bike Edmonton

MOTHERLOAD movie screening
Saturday, June 3 at 3pm
Metro Cinema
8712 109 St NW

Bonus meetup! Join us at the Garneau Lamp at 2pm on Saturday for a "Cargo Bike Show and Tell" where you can try out different cargo bikes and ask questions of the owners.All proceeds to Bike Edmonton to support our community bike shops and outreach programs. Suggested donation: $20 adult, $7 children.

i got a new high score on my Oliverbahn bike count this morning. i walk along the 102 Ave bike lane from 114 to 124 2-3x a week, and i usually count the bikes that go by. usually that number hovers around 30 in the morning, 40 in the evening, over the course of the 15-20 minutes i'm going through. Obviously this isn't very scientific, but i find it fun.
this morning I got a new high score! 60 bikes, vs. 23 cars in the same time/stretch of road. there was bike traffic, bikes passing each other, critical mass at intersections. it was very lively!
I just thought i'd share, for anyone looking for good news in the Edmonton cycling world. we DO, in fact, USE the bike lanes!

i got a new high score on my Oliverbahn bike count this morning. i walk along the 102 Ave bike lane from 114 to 124 2-3x a week, and i usually count the bikes that go by. usually that number hovers around 30 in the morning, 40 in the evening, over the course of the 15-20 minutes i'm going through. Obviously this isn't very scientific, but i find it fun.
this morning I got a new high score! 60 bikes, vs. 23 cars in the same time/stretch of road. there was bike traffic, bikes passing each other, critical mass at intersections. it was very lively!
I just thought i'd share, for anyone looking for good news in the Edmonton cycling world. we DO, in fact, USE the bike lanes!

Amazing!

The 83rd Avenue bike lane has also been very busy this spring. I use it to get to and from work. No numbers from me unfortunately though, I’ll have to start counting!

Speaking as a lifelong Edmontonian, I have never seen so many people out on bikes, riding scooters, pulling chariots, etc.

It’s great to see and I know the numbers will only increase as the bike network expands.

Very exciting!

I walk along that same stretch daily. Totally agree in noticing increase in bike traffic.

I've sent an inquiry to Coun. Stevenson about this - the city needs to change the light at the 116st and 102 Ave intersection to have a bike/pedestrian detector like the 83 Ave bike lane has at 99 street (which is a higher volume vehicular street than 116). You have to stand there waiting for that light to change for too long with no vehicles coming in either direction).

I don't know what the rationale is there.

I encourage anyone who feels the same way to send her something as well.

Amazing!

The 83rd Avenue bike lane has also been very busy this spring. I use it to get to and from work. No numbers from me unfortunately though, I’ll have to start counting!

Speaking as a lifelong Edmontonian, I have never seen so many people out on bikes, riding scooters, pulling chariots, etc.

It’s great to see and I know the numbers will only increase as the bike network expands.

Very exciting!
I was just going to say the same. The finished 110 Street lane and redone street infront of Sugar Bowl are also great new developments too.

I walk along that same stretch daily. Totally agree in noticing increase in bike traffic.

I've sent an inquiry to Coun. Stevenson about this - the city needs to change the light at the 116st and 102 Ave intersection to have a bike/pedestrian detector like the 83 Ave bike lane has at 99 street (which is a higher volume vehicular street than 116). You have to stand there waiting for that light to change for too long with no vehicles coming in either direction).

I don't know what the rationale is there.

I encourage anyone who feels the same way to send her something as well.
I always seem to just miss the green light here too, very frustrating.

I hear Century Park LRT station now has secure bike storage as a 1 year pilot project. If this is not advertised by COE nor ETS then I encourage people to make use of it.
Screenshot_20230608-074957_Chrome.jpg

the new multiuse path along 111th is so popular already, strollers, bikers, scooters, walkers, and everyone from all the adjacent neighborhoods are thankful. I'm starting to be more pro-multiuse path than pro-sidewalk tbh. Although they both have their advantages
What stretch of 111th Ave is this path located?

It'd be really nice now if they'd fill in the missing links on the west side of 111St so you don't have to cross over the LRT tracks multiple times to head south (or go north into the city from the south).

It'd be really nice now if they'd fill in the missing links on the west side of 111St so you don't have to cross over the LRT tracks multiple times to head south (or go north into the city from the south).
This.

Good news is we learned our lesson and don’t do this anymore!

*checks west valley LRT design for 87ave.*

Oh wait.

Back