News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

^Reality is not many, if any, empty office buildings Downtown are ripe for conversion. The only one that keeps coming up is the Milner on 104 Street because of it's modern architecture and slim floor plate allowing windows on both sides. Most don't have the right floor plate, and most don't have a business case.

It's of course more environmentally friendly to reuse or re-adapt, but if the numbers don't work and we want to push residential we'll have to be very specific about which buildings are worth saving. Also mindful of tearing down a building when construction isn't imminent either. That happened in the 60's and 70's to bad effect.

^Reality is not many, if any, empty office buildings Downtown are ripe for conversion. The only one that keeps coming up is the Milner on 104 Street because of it's modern architecture and slim floor plate allowing windows on both sides. Most don't have the right floor plate, and most don't have a business case.

It's of course more environmentally friendly to reuse or re-adapt, but if the numbers don't work and we want to push residential we'll have to be very specific about which buildings are worth saving. Also mindful of tearing down a building when construction isn't imminent either. That happened in the 60's and 70's to bad effect.

Speaking of Milner... not likely going to be residential anymore... but may end up as something very interesting and unique to Edmonton. I'll provide more info once I'm able to

I'me not sure what interesting and unique means. I'm also intrigued, but I've thought the Milner could work as a hotel, as well as residential.

Speaking of Milner... not likely going to be residential anymore... but may end up as something very interesting and unique to Edmonton. I'll provide more info once I'm able to

Short-term (airbnb) rental tower?

That makes no sense.
why not?

i am aware of a number of projects in several jurisdictions operating quite successfully as airbnb's with at least two models - one under single ownership (either corporate or on a limited partnership basis) and the other under individual strata ownership. both operate in a manner similar to time share projects and some even have full-time staff available on site offering front of house guest services and/or back of house services such as cleaning and laundry and security etc.. In a reliable downtown location, bookings are often corporate, not just personal.

why not?

i am aware of a number of projects in several jurisdictions operating quite successfully as airbnb's with at least two models - one under single ownership (either corporate or on a limited partnership basis) and the other under individual strata ownership. both operate in a manner similar to time share projects and some even have full-time staff available on site offering front of house guest services and/or back of house services such as cleaning and laundry and security etc.. In a reliable downtown location, bookings are often corporate, not just personal.
Doesn't make sense because he doesn't like it, god knows why.

Back