News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

I’m not sure if the entrance was open doesn't look like it is, but from yesterday. Shinny distracts from the horrors across the street.
89C72A76-A8DD-4521-96FB-4A3925600250.jpeg

Ilahui has locations in Southgate and Kingsway.
The gaming store and the pop-up shop in ECC east are still around.
T. Kettle still hasn't opened yet when I walked by yesterday. What the hell is taking them so long?
I went by T. Kettle the other day and saw the guy in there, looks like he is setting things up. Not sure if its just one guy, maybe that's why it is taking so long.

Btw, I noticed a tea place opening in City Centre West (where Second Cup used to be), so that makes 3 new tenants for City Centre this month (if T. Kettle opens soon).

Perhaps the tide is finally turning.

I went by T. Kettle the other day and saw the guy in there, looks like he is setting things up. Not sure if its just one guy, maybe that's why it is taking so long.

Btw, I noticed a tea place opening in City Centre West (where Second Cup used to be), so that makes 3 new tenants for City Centre this month (if T. Kettle opens soon).

Perhaps the tide is finally turning.

Sharetea in the old Second Cup space opened about 3 years ago.
I use the term "open" loosely because their opening hours are wildly erratic.

Looks like the flower shop has closed down. I forgot the name but it's located next to the pedway that crosses over to the Sandman Signature Hotel.

I heard from someone today that the Sportchek will be closing. Anyone able to confirm?

Hearing about a 'closing out sale', but nothing more on it as of yet.

But if SC goes, would that mean Atmosphere too given their interconnection/ties?

I'm not surprised TBH - since these 2 stores reopened after the pandemic, their mall entrances appeared to be almost closed. Nevertheless, the closures of Sport Chek and Atmosphere would be another huge blow for ECC. At the rate things are going, all this mall will have left open will be the food court, Timmys, RBC, ATB and maybe the movie theatre.

I'm not surprised TBH - since these 2 stores reopened after the pandemic, their mall entrances appeared to be almost closed. Nevertheless, the closures of Sport Chek and Atmosphere would be another huge blow for ECC. At the rate things are going, all this mall will have left open will be the food court, Timmys, RBC, ATB and maybe the movie theatre.
Dont forget cell phone kiosk alley haha!

Until there is evidence of a well executed plan by the new owner, this is literally a black hole of vitally and life in the dead centre of one of Canada's major cities. Just a brutal look and outcome.

Topically, Cadillac Fairview just released their plans for redevelopment of the mall and area at Polo Park in Winnipeg.

Am eagerly awaiting whatever plans are in the works for CC because it needs a massive overhaul yesterday.

Yes, Graham and Lane is gone.
I am surprised they stayed this long, they must have been greatly affected by the reduced office crowd during COVID.

I think it was not so much a retail store, as serving business clients in the nearby towers. I assume they stayed until their lease ended.

For many years they were not in the mall itself, but in the tower to the north.

The whole thing with these stores closing in ECC portends the redevelopment of the mall as was envisioned when it was sold to the current owners. That was an ambitious plan. I imagine that the owners let leases lapse naturally while they were preparing construction documents so that they did not have to entertain any buyouts. And there is then an impetus for more closings as the mall continues to lose vibrancy. And then there is the 2nd Avenue closing that may have caused the owners to rejigger their plans to face a pedestrian oriented street.

Unfortunately I think things will get worse on the retailing front for ECC before they get better. Retail always follows people by about 2-3 years, so these closures are the direct result of COVID and other global realities/trends. We have some light at the end of the tunnel with new residential, some new office workers, some return to work, increased pedestrian traffic around ICE District, but it will take years before those trends result in return of retailers.

Thinking out loud, perhaps the future of Downtown isn't to have a HUGE connected mall in the middle of our Downtown, with some foresight the current owners can take the opportunity to do some redevelopment and invite retailers back once it's over. I think that's everyone's hope here for the property. In the meantime there are 30-40 retailers that serve the downtown and will probably continue to be there.

Back