7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Colour
DSC01670.JPG

Coming soon to the Bell Annex

View attachment 427093
Since IBI was recently acquired by Arcadis (based in Holland with a small Edmonton office at 10665 Jasper Ave), I wonder if just the name will change in this new office to Arcadis or the scope of their lease will now change. I'm guessing the existing Arcadis office on Jasper will be closed and absorbed into the Bell Annex location now.

I heard that the downtown YMCA has less than half its membership pre pandemic. That's a huge hit even if the organization has deep pockets. Pools are extremely expensive to keep operating and I rarely see much activity going on when I go by. I'm concerned.

The facility is closed on Sundays as well as a way to cut some operating expenses.

I hope it can hold on.

I went to the Jamie Platz YMCA in the west end yesterday and it was packed. The pools and basketball courts were full of kids. There was a lot of workout equipment. The gym was rather rundown though.

If the Don Wheaton YMCA shuts down then we're hooped because the choice of gyms within the financial core is rather sparse.

Reactions: God
I heard that the downtown YMCA has less than half its membership pre pandemic. That's a huge hit even if the organization has deep pockets. Pools are extremely expensive to keep operating and I rarely see much activity going on when I go by. I'm concerned.

The facility is closed on Sundays as well as a way to cut some operating expenses.

I hope it can hold on.
If most residential towers in the core already have gyms and/or pools, then the YMCA would be serving those that don't have those facilities as well as any office workers in the area that don't have such fitness amenities in their buildings. I wonder if most YMCA patrons pre-pandemic were office workers and with hybrid work, many are not coming Downtown much and thus don't see a need for a YMCA membership at that location.

I wish that they had pursued their original plans of a 4 storey (structurally and mechanically still able to) building with the upper floors being squash/racketball and a rooftop amenity/play space for kids

Most were office workers, yes. But also some residents that didn't want to pay membership during COVID. Current membership I've been told is around 1000, pre-COVID it was 3000.

Back