News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Ah yes, another ideologically Calgary centric UCPer crawling out of the wood work that will lead this province to a better place. Maybe we should pack up the Legislature and ship it down south and save the UCP the trouble of having to drive up to Edmonton.

Why do I get the feeling that Danielle Smith might be another Jeff Callaway.
Is Danielle Smith there to split the vote with Brian Jean so Jason Kenney can win?

Why do I get the feeling that Danielle Smith might be another Jeff Callaway.
Is Danielle Smith there to split the vote with Brian Jean so Jason Kenney can win?

Except if there is a leadership race I doubt Jason Kenney would be running again as it would mean he failed his party's leadership vote. When something like that happens, the leader doesn't usually put their name forward again.

Except if there is a leadership race I doubt Jason Kenney would be running again as it would mean he failed his party's leadership vote. When something like that happens, the leader doesn't usually put their name forward again.
this isn’t a man to whom “doesn’t usually” applies.

it wouldn’t surprise me to see him throw his hat in at 40% saying the other 60% deserve the opportunity to vote for him as leader after voting for a leadership review because “that’s when it will really count” and because the review was orchestrated and on and on and on...

Unfortunately there are many people in Alberta that are just as dumb or even more so than Jason Kenney that will still vote for him.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

this isn’t a man to whom “doesn’t usually” applies.

it wouldn’t surprise me to see him throw his hat in at 40% saying the other 60% deserve the opportunity to vote for him as leader after voting for a leadership review because “that’s when it will really count” and because the review was orchestrated and on and on and on...
Entirely within the realm of what an idiot would do, or perhaps on the advice Republican strategists in the good ole USA that advise him and his cronies.

It's going to be an interesting 2023 election when we can hear from all the parties on what they can do for Calgary to woo their votes.

Case in point - the NDP's newly released $155million plan to revitalize downtown Calgary.

Don't get me wrong, Calgary issues should be addressed, as any region of the province. But the NDP, largely made up of Edmonton MLAs and therefore working for Edmontonians as provincial representatives along with their critic portfolios, should have released a similar report for Edmonton's downtown by now, no? Or as our representatives, do they not need to spend as much of their time and resources doing a plan for the city that elected them?

Provincial jobs report just came out, too. Good to see Alberta's job rate continuing to decline (6.5% unemployment)
110,000 new jobs have been created in the province since March 2021 (top 3):
Calgary 53,000
Edmonton 24,000
Lethbridge/Medicine Hat 14,000

Last edited:
It's going to be an interesting 2023 election when we can hear from all the parties on what they can do for Calgary to woo their votes.

Case in point - the NDP's newly released $155million plan to revitalize downtown Calgary.

Don't get me wrong, Calgary issues should be addressed, as any region of the province. But the NDP, largely made up of Edmonton MLAs and therefore working for Edmontonians as provincial representatives along with their critic portfolios, should have released a similar report for Edmonton's downtown by now, no? Or as our representatives, do they not need to spend as much of their time and resources doing a plan for the city that elected them?

Provincial jobs report just came out, too. Good to see Alberta's job rate continuing to decline (6.5% unemployment)
110,000 new jobs have been created in the province since March 2021 (top 3):
Calgary 53,000
Edmonton 24,000
Lethbridge/Medicine Hat 14,000

I will never for life of me understand the concept that any provincial conservative party which has typically been rooted in Calgary would always favour Calgary and rarely if ever have considered Edmonton a serious candidate for driving the province forward. But an NDP party which arguably is rooted in Edmonton does not show the same love to Edmonton as many conservative Calgary rooted parties show to Calgary, and here we are again pandering to Calgary and its downtown.

Edmonton is never the hot girl people want to take to the dance but what does the city need to do to be thought of as more than a bigger Red Deer? Because Edmonton has the largest and flagship human capital generator in the province with the U of A, Edmonton's downtown is in some serious need of love arguably more than Calgary's, and it would make sense in my brain to have two economic centers in the province that compete nation wide or globally rather than only continuously stroking off one yet here we are with an Edmonton supported party pandering for support in Calgary with their downtown.

Back