7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.53.06 AM.png

Strange bedfellows...
I hope Kenney stays on as leader until next year, as I think he's an 'all or nothing' guy. Either he will lead the UCP into the next election or if someone has a good chance of ousting him as leader, he would call an early election and just take the entire ship down with him.

I hope Kenney stays on as leader until next year, as I think he's an 'all or nothing' guy. Either he will lead the UCP into the next election or if someone has a good chance of ousting him as leader, he would call an early election and just take the entire ship down with him.
I want him gone asap.
I wish his public life ends pronto!

Coming Feb 24th? This upcoming budget is going to be very interesting. Will be tragic if these federal dollars aren't available because of the province.

Nope, funding isn't coming.

Sohi didn't mince words saying Edmonton treated like second class citizens and budget was "a slap in the face" for Edmonton.

As the political hack that Jason Kenney is - whose intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction - a friend of mine thinks it's not out of the question that he would call a surprise provincial election prior to his April leadership vote if he thinks has going to be tossed.

That way, he escapes that and can go into an election with a budget surplus and if he wins, a leadership vote won't be an issue. If he loses, it doesn't matter because the party was going to turf him anyway.

I'm not sure, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Wow, terrible treatment from UCP government once again. This is not governing for the whole province. What I am pleased to see, however, is Sohi's strong reaction and calling it out. This is absolutely needed - hope he is keeping a tally of how much funding Edmonton has been shortchanged over the last decade compared to Calgary. More ammunition for an appropriate spend here when the day comes.

^I don't know about the last decade but it sounds like he's releasing a comparison of Edm-Cal for this budget.

From Global News story.
City staff will be releasing the city’s wish list to the media, Sohi said.

“You will see a stark difference, how Edmonton is treated and how badly Edmonton is treated and how much money Calgary got.”

Sohi said he doesn’t know why more capital projects were funded in Calgary.

“I can only assume the decisions are being made based on where the UCP MLAs are. That politics is driving… not good governance, driving decisions. And that is concerning.”

From the National Post...
Alberta has suffered the downside of its energy economy in recent years. Now it's seeing the upside. With oil and gas prices sharply higher, the provincial government's 2022-23 budget expects a surplus of $511 million. That's the province’s first balanced budget since 2014-15. As Don Braid points out, it's like a wish come true for Premier Jason Kenney, facing a leadership review in just over a month and with NDP rival Rachel Notley well ahead in polls.

Back