News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

New sound wall is complete from 142 to ST Al trail.

But I still believe they blew it when they did not build a fly over at 149st. Traffic is pretty good now on 156 and St Al trail. I usually now take 170st to go north between 4 and 6.

Going north, 149 Street meets up close to 156 Street. I wonder if Costco will stay at the Yellowhead location.

If not a flyover at 149 St, at least an easy way for drivers to U-turn St. Albert Trail without having to stop at two sets of lights. That single left turn lane from St Albert Trail onto westbound Yellowhead is going to be a gongshow.

At least turning around at 156 St is not going to be too bad. A single light followed immediately by the cloverleaf.

New sound wall is complete from 142 to ST Al trail.

But I still believe they blew it when they did not build a fly over at 149st. Traffic is pretty good now on 156 and St Al trail. I usually now take 170st to go north between 4 and 6.

I don't think they blew it. 149 St north of the CN rail crossing narrows down to just 1 lane per direction until just before 137 Ave. 149 St is a major thoroughfare south of the Yellowhead.

Man, the more I see of that project, the uglier it is for pedestrians. I mean, no wonder Station Pointe never took off. To get across Fort Rd at 66th St, you have to cross 8 lanes of traffic (not to mention being stuck between two stroads and the tracks).

Great for cars and trucks, though.

If not a flyover at 149 St, at least an easy way for drivers to U-turn St. Albert Trail without having to stop at two sets of lights. That single left turn lane from St Albert Trail onto westbound Yellowhead is going to be a gongshow.

At least turning around at 156 St is not going to be too bad. A single light followed immediately by the cloverleaf.
This is basically what my feedback was on this stretch. 156st and moreso St. Albert Tr are going to get alot of redirected traffic from closing that turn at 149st.

They needed a dedicated turn around lane at St Albert Trail accessible from the exit ramp. The lights at this intersection will create a traffic headache. Maybe they have plans to revise the signals?

Would a diverging diamond interchange be more difficult to build if St. Albert Trail crosses Yellowhead at an angle? Also, I think that giving directions for 128 and 123 Avenues would save a lot of heartache. I think one challenge could be vehicles cutting through Dovercourt to get from Yellowhead to 142 Street.

Last edited:
Man, the more I see of that project, the uglier it is for pedestrians. I mean, no wonder Station Pointe never took off. To get across Fort Rd at 66th St, you have to cross 8 lanes of traffic (not to mention being stuck between two stroads and the tracks).

Great for cars and trucks, though.
It's especially disappointing how a brand new multi-use path can include such a glaring missing link, at the same time the city declared a climate emergency and is looking for ways to promote active transportation. The full design document is here. How hard would it have been to close one of those two roads marked with an X? It's so extra to keep two entrances/exits for the same road just so that drivers don't need to make sharp right turns. Or, I don't know... use the intersection just a few meters away?
Fort Road.PNG

Would a diverging diamond interchange be more difficult to build if St. Albert Trail crosses Yellowhead at an angle? Also, I think that giving directions for 128 and 123 Avenues would save a lot of heartache. I think one challenge could be vehicles cutting through Dovercourt to get from Yellowhead to 142 Street.
I've seen pics of DDIs built at angles, but they have a lot more space. Still worth exploring the option though.

I think turning at the intersection between Yellowhead and the railway bridge on St. Albert Trail could help some vehicles.

Cutting one of the major north south crossings on the YH is tough.

The entry onto YH from 149 NB and 142NB will be fine but then congestion on ST Al and 156st is already starting to show. Hate to see this when the snow hits. both 156st and ST AL get backed up. 156st mostly from trucks spinning on the bridge. St Al NB people have problems under the rail bridge.

Looking at the progress of yellowhead right now, i’m curious if they’ll close 149st before or after winter.

Back