7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

FBMAiA1WUAE8MtB

That's exactly what they're doing
That's not why they're closing it though. The widening will take place in phases over the next couple of years, with one direction being done at a time. Right now, Fort Road is closed for a few months to accommodate construction of two temporary railway overpasses (one per direction) so that train traffic isn't interrupted when they need to close the main overpass to lengthen it (so that it can reach both ends of the widened Fort Road).

Here's the full construction timeline
Yellowhead Trail Schedule.png

Last edited:
I wonder where this project is relative to schedule. You'd have to imagine that given the incredible weather and still positive single digit temps forecasted for the next week+ that this project has made more progress than anticipated.

I didn't get any pics due to my driving, but I can say this:
  1. The Yellowhead Trail widening east of 66 St should reopen any day now! Maybe tomorrow?
  2. The 3rd EB lane to 149 St is coming along nicely
  3. The rail tracks are still crossing the Yellowhead - when will this be removed?
  4. Now that the 142 St intersection is permanently closed, road signs have been temporarily taped off
  5. I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I'm really glad they're using this opportunity to redo the Yellowhead under St. Albert Trail so that it no longer floods every time we get a severe thunderstorm

I took another trip down the Yellowhead - this time I drove WB from Victoria Trail.

I was rather confused by the reconfigured Victoria Trail intersection from 118 Ave - there are now 2 new left-only turns onto Yellowhead EB when I wanted to turn left onto Yellowhead WB. Good thing traffic was light, otherwise I would have been in deep doo-doo. The traffic signage seriously needs to be updated - for instance, they really need to remove that old turnoff sign to Vegreville.

Most of the widening construction east of 66 St is completed except for some ongoing work with the 50 St interchange, which I hope wraps up soon.

Last edited:
I wonder how the noise wall construction segment is coming along. Apparently construction started this year, but there were no visible signs of progress on the stretch along the yellowhead near Wayne Gretzky Drive when I drove by there in September or October (I drove through one of the alleys near Elmwood Community League's building). I'm looking forward to this because it'll include a mixed-use path and other pedestrian amenities.

Back