News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER look at the comments section on Facebook, EVER! It's all disappointment and frustration. Also, if it were up to me, I'd do the same as I always to on Cities Skylines: create a permanent gridlock to force residents to bike, walk and take rail transit, so they should just consider themselves lucky that I'm not in charge of deciding what is done with Edmonton's roads.
Ok I couldn't resist checking out that sh.tshow of a comment section. Like the two different commenters saying that they should remove the lights, did they bother even looking at the graphic (answer is no). My favorite is where one guy said all the lights will be on the overpasses and it will be free-flowing on the freeway, and the next guy responding to his post said "Are you saying they're putting lights on the yellowhead?" I often wonder how some of these people can actually function on their own as they seem oblivious to the world.

I wonder if the there should be a loop going from 115 Street northbound to Yellowhead Trail. Have it something like the 107 Street connection on the south side. Also if a motorist has to turn from St. Albert Trail South to Yellowhead East, I think there should be some kind of side road where traffic could slow down or speed up (e.g. Henday/Sherwood Park Freeway Southbound) for access on both St. Albert Trail and 127 Street.

The latest progress update is live. Detailed design for the Fort Road expansion/125th avenue construction is done, and construction will begin this spring. The Q&A from their online engagement has some interesting info, including details about the temporary railway overpass which will be constructed. It also has some lovely gems which show how wonderful people are, like these two (paraphrased) questions back-to-back: "Flooding is already really bad in the area, how will you handle it when you lower the road?" and "Why is a storm pond being added when flooding has never been a problem in the area?"

Detailed design is also done for 56 Street to St. Albert Trail and construction will begin this year, but the webpage wasn't updated yet. Its page does not mention a multi-use pedestrian path like other stretches are getting; is 56 street-SAT not getting any pedestrian links added? On that note, preliminary design for the noise reduction system from 97 street-Fort Road is also done, and this will add a lovely area for pedestrians.

Last edited:
I came across some interesting info about the upcoming Fort Road widening. For those who don't know, the CN overpass needs to be extended since Fort Road is being widened. This means that two temporary railway overpasses will be constructed, one on either side of the permanent overpass, to accommodate rail traffic while the overpass is being worked on. While these overpasses are constructed, and later taken down, that part of Fort Road will need to be shut down to accommodate the work.

So, when work on the project begins this spring, the 125th avenue and 66th street stretches will be the first that the city completes. This way, when the stretch of Fort Road at the railway underpass is closed, 125 ave and 66 street can be used as a detour. If you're out in the area when the city announces that work on the Fort Road extension has begun, now you know where to watch first! You can see the final project design here. I wonder if they'll improve the pedestrian connections under the 66th st rail overpass? It's pretty sketchy right now, similar to Fort Road's underpass. It'd be a shame if they used this opportunity to improve pedestrian safety at Fort Road's underpass, but not at 66 st. I'm just bringing it up since the design shows a multi-use path being constructed under that overpass.

I came across some interesting info about the upcoming Fort Road widening. For those who don't know, the CN overpass needs to be extended since Fort Road is being widened. This means that two temporary railway overpasses will be constructed, one on either side of the permanent overpass, to accommodate rail traffic while the overpass is being worked on. While these overpasses are constructed, and later taken down, that part of Fort Road will need to be shut down to accommodate the work.

So, when work on the project begins this spring, the 125th avenue and 66th street stretches will be the first that the city completes. This way, when the stretch of Fort Road at the railway underpass is closed, 125 ave and 66 street can be used as a detour. If you're out in the area when the city announces that work on the Fort Road extension has begun, now you know where to watch first! You can see the final project design here. I wonder if they'll improve the pedestrian connections under the 66th st rail overpass? It's pretty sketchy right now, similar to Fort Road's underpass. It'd be a shame if they used this opportunity to improve pedestrian safety at Fort Road's underpass, but not at 66 st. I'm just bringing it up since the design shows a multi-use path being constructed under that overpass.
Based on the design drawings the sidewalks along 66 Street under the rail line appear to be part of the project scope, so I would assume they will be widened as well to connect to the existing multi-use path at the Fort Road intersection.

Based on the design drawings the sidewalks along 66 Street under the rail line appear to be part of the project scope, so I would assume they will be widened as well to connect to the existing multi-use path at the Fort Road intersection.
Yeah, that makes sense. To me, it looks like a multi-use path will get put in under the overpass, but the "project boundary" line juts out and cuts the sidewalk on the right off right before it goes under. So I'm just not sure if the sidewalk on the right going under the overpass will be improved or not.

It looks like the Fort Road leg has started! Although, the work currently underway at 66th Street could be unrelated.

20210509_142101.jpg

20210509_142055.jpg20210509_142204.jpg20210509_142206.jpg

Back