News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

Went to get a donair and it is the last business in that little strip mall on the NW corner of 142 st and Yellowhead. Girl said they are closing in about two months. Esso gas station became a big hole in the ground. And McDonald's next to it has been closed for a while.

View attachment 332356

On the south side between 156 st and 149 st is where the most progress has been made. But they stopped heads on at Costco gas station which is still operational.
And I don't see them building a new one. Are they going to have a gap with fuel service for customers? Sorry for crappy phone zoom pic from 156 st overpass looking East.
Permit Date
Jul 23, 2021
Description
To demolish a restaurant (McDonald's).
Status
In Progress

I wonder if the Costco on 149 Street will stay long-term.
I would love to see it move closer to the core (think Westmount Mall area, for example), but I doubt it would even be considered. My most farfetched dream would have Costco open with underground parking in one of the many gigantic parking lots we have downtown, but that's a WIIIIIILD dream

I took these pictures of the 125th Ave construction today while biking to work.

While I was taking them, I had a funny interaction with an older guy. He biked a little ways behind me, then stopped and turned to face me:

"The back of your shorts are all wet!"
"Ah yeah, my water bottle is leaking unfortunately!"
"It looks like you pissed yourself!"
"Well luckily I'm passed that stage of my life, and I'm not at the other end yet!"
He laughed, pointed at me with his two index fingers, then biked off.
20210725_134902.jpg

20210725_134945.jpg20210725_135036.jpg20210725_135206.jpg20210725_135221.jpg20210725_135327.jpg

Attachments

• 20210725_135322.jpg
    20210725_135322.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 151
I would love to see it move closer to the core (think Westmount Mall area, for example), but I doubt it would even be considered. My most farfetched dream would have Costco open with underground parking in one of the many gigantic parking lots we have downtown, but that's a WIIIIIILD dream
Hahaha! Good one dude! 😆

It looks as if they're rebuilding the Costco gas station however. I believe it was just moved sightly to make more room for the new service roads.
Could be. I'm just saying what a guy who seemed pretty in-the-know on the Yellowhead project was telling me.

Anyone know what the speed limit will be on the through lanes of Yellowhead Trail between St. Albert Trail and 156 Street? I kind of hope they raise it to 90 km/h, just like it is west of 156 Street right now. The concept plans only show speed limits for the collector lanes.

Like, you can't tell me this'll seriously be the speed limit of Yellowhead Trail AFTER the freeway conversion, right? *Nervously awaits response*1628299881319.png

Like, you can't tell me this'll seriously be the speed limit of Yellowhead Trail AFTER the freeway conversion, right? *Nervously awaits response*View attachment 339933
If I remember correctly, it will be 80 km/h from 156 st all the way down to 50 St, just like the Whitemud (that's what it was said last time the council rejected the bid for a 10km/h increase in the Whitemud). I would love to see both at 90 km/h, as well as 75 and 170 st be 70 km/h, instead of 60 km/h.

70 km/h might be too fast for 75 and 170 Streets. Unlike roads like Beddington Trail and Shagannapi Trail in Calgary, those streets have lots of parking lot and neighbourhood accesses, so upping their speeds would probably require eliminating all of those small accesses. But I concur with increasing the speed limits to 90 on the Whitemud and Yellowhead.

If you have time, you should check out this explanation from the Fort Road phase public hearing. The basic summary is that they are limited by the design of the existing roadway; some of it resembles the Henday, but other parts are much more constrained and the surrounding areas are developed to the point that the road can't be altered as much as would be needed to safely increase the speed limit. Administration opted for a consistent 80 km/h speed limit along the entire stretch instead of having a patchwork of different speed limits that can cause confusion, lead to unnecessary braking, etc.

Again, that is a very rough summary and if you're interested in learning more, I highly recommend that you watch the segment that I linked.

Back